Go to a South African Restaurant

My latest new restaurant is a lot different than any I have been to before.  I have never visited a South African Restaurant before; actually the owner is from Namibia, which is in the southern part of Africa.  The restaurant is named Otjundu and is located on Highland Avenue in downtown Eau Gallie.  Through the years, a lot of different places have resided on this lot, but not once have I been there.  Otjundu was the name of the owner's family farm in Namibia and means Elephant's watering hole.  I am big, they had beer, so I feel it is appropriately named.
Sign out front of the Restaurant
Beer List

Did I mention that the owner's family is German?  That is why the restaurant doubles as a Biergarten. I have included the beer list.  I ordered the Warsteiner Pils but the waitress, Lori, said they had replaced that with Warsteiner Oktoberfest. That is what I ordered. The menu had .3L, .4L and .5L, but she said they also had Liters. I was happy with a .5L!

 They also have wine and I have included the list below.

Wine List
When I arrived, it was early and there was no one else in the restaurant.  They do have a front porch, an inside area that has air conditioning, a back porch and then the Biergarten which includes some outdoor comfortable furniture. I decided to sit on the back porch, outside. It was a nice evening with not much humidity. It is fall you know!
My seat on the back porch at Otjunda (where the beer is on the right)
 I also took a partial picture of the Biergarten. The small building on the left is where the restrooms are located.  I did not visit them so I have no report on that watering hole.
The Biergarten at Otjundu
My beer arrived in a very nice stein.  The menu is a single page with not  tons of choices but there were a lot of items I have never heard of before. Knowing that I was going to go here, I did look up some of the menu items.  One item that caught my attention was the Boerewors, a South African sausage.  They do have Bratwurst, but I wanted to try something new.  I did find a story on the internet that a school in Capetown had made a 200 foot long Boerewors, 20 stories long within the last few days.  It broke some kind of record and was served to the poor. I had to have one of those. I have included a picture of my stein of Warsteiner and the menus on my table.
Warsteiner and menu at Otjundu
 Ordering the sausage, the meal came with a house salad.  The dressing was very simple (and delicious) and the salad included a pickled beet, some cabbage in vinegar (sauerkraut?), and some thinly sliced cucumbers.
House Salad at Otjundu
 Next, the main entree arrived and I was pleasantly surprised.  The Boerewors was fairly large (not 200 feet) and is made mostly from beef with maybe pork and/or lamb added.  The red pile in the middle was the pap, a ground maize porridge. Pap is the Dutch word for porridge.  I think it is their replacement for our mashed potatoes, it had the same consistency.  The red sauce is called Chakalaka sauce, a South African vegetable relish, usually spicy. I did not think this was spicy at all.  There were fresh green beans and the container held a curry relish which I found to be great on the sausage.
Boerewors at Otjundu
 I did order a second beer to help the sausage slide down the gullet better.
New Warsteiner Oktoberfest at Otjundu
When I left the Restaurant, there were three tables of people dining inside.  The place is still new but I am going to give it a 4 (Excellent).  Usually I do not give a four without checking the restrooms, but the food was great (and heat hot) and the beer was wonderful (that is heat cold). I definitely will be going back soon.  I think it would be a twenty minute walk from my house!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

VT Trip - Steve's Park Diner

Go to a retirement lunch

VT Trip - 2023