Two New Restaurants and One Old

After my week long trip to Vermont to attend the wedding of my nephew, I had to take a break from eating out (and drinking out) to try to get back to a reasonable weight. Vacations are great for the mind but can kill the body....

I am behind schedule on "one new restaurant a week" so I needed to start catching up.  The first place I tried was called the Ole' Fire Grill in downtown Melbourne. It is new and is located in the same spot of a sushi place I liked that closed.  It is next door to the "Off the Traxx"  another place I like . The bartender at Traxx told me that the owner of Ole' Fire Grill was an ex-employee at Traxx that wanted his own place.

The hostess of the Ole' Fire Grill sits outside on the street. I told her that I was just going to sit at the bar so she lead me there.  The place expands in to other dining rooms, but I did not check it out. The art and decor up front in the bar was nice.
My seat at the bar at Ole' Fire Grill
My first problem was there was no bartender behind the bar and it took almost ten minutes before anyone came out for my drink order.  The place is new so I allow for some leeway. I ordered a Corona since it was hot outside and I was planning on eating Mexican.
My Corona
I did notice they had lots of different tequilas on the bar. It looked like 50 or 60 different brands. I asked the bartender and she said she has tried almost all of them.  I passed on a shot this time but it might be a great place to go to try some of the many varieties of tequila. My memories of tequila shots are limited although I have done it a few times. They can go down reeaalll smmoooootthhh....

For lunch, I ordered the OlĂ© Fire Tacos. They are described as "Ole seasoned fire grilled chicken, sauteed onions and peppers, jalapenos and sriracha ranchero sauce."  They can be on corn or flour tortillas. I choose the second. They come with either cilantro rice and beans or chips and salsa. I choose the first.
Two Ole Fire Tacos with cilantro rice and beans
You have a choice of two or three tacos. Although it was not an abundance of food, the tacos were really tasty and the beans over the rice was good too. For lunch, and since I was trying to lose some weight after my vacation, it was just enough to fill me up.

The decor is nice and I have included a few photographs here...
Ole' Fire Grill Decor
Painting at Ole' Fire Grill
Painting at Ole' Fire Grill
 I liked the decor, I liked the location in downtown, I liked the food, but I did not like the slowness of the service. Therefore, I am giving the place a 2 (good), hoping they will get better as they mature. Also, I want to try some of those tequilas....liquid lunch anyone?

My friend (and ex-wife) Nancy called to ask if there were any restaurants around that did New Orleans type foods. Other than Popeye's, I could only think of Tabones Po Boy in downtown Melbourne. But she was looking for some Etouffee and I was not sure where they might have that. I asked my friends at the Tuesday Drinking Club and Mac Monroe mentioned Shells near the Melbourne Square Mall. I told Nancy about it and she wanted to go and since I had never been there, we headed out on Saturday, July 9.

We got there at 5:30 PM and there was a crowd. I guess they have a 4-6 early bird menu. Nancy was looking for Etouffee and I was wanting to try anything. Nancy got her Etouffee; crawfish, scallops and shrimp over rice...
Nancy'e Etouffee
Tyler, Nancy's son, was with us. We ordered Buffalo Shrimp as an appetizer.  Tyler likes spicy and Nancy not-so-much.  The Buffalo Shrimp were excellent. Nancy and I ordered a side Caesar salad before the meal.

My choice for dinner was "The Big Easy."  It was described as "Grilled fish topped with shrimp & scallops, sautĂ©ed in a white wine cream sauce with fresh tomatoes, onions & mushrooms, served over rice." The fish was tilapia, but our waiter said I could get it over any of the fish on the board. I stuck with the tilapia. I figured with all the topping, the grilled fish was playing second fiddle to the toppings. Of course, it was so good I almost forgot to take a picture of it.
"The Big Easy" at Shells Restaurant
The place has been here forever and I have never been in. It was really great and I give it a 3. I definitely will be back, I see they have oysters and clams too. And a full bar!

I was trying to get a third new place in a week but I was driving by one of my favorite places and there were no cars, so I had to stop.
My car in the parking lot near the sign for El Ambia Cubano
It was too hot to sit on the porch but I sat next to the window. That is Crane Creek in the background. My minor surgery I just had was done at the yellow building toward the left of the picture. I ordered the Pollo Asada with yellow rice and black beans. It comes with two tostones.

Pollo Asada at El Ambia Cubano
Oh yeah, it is also one of the few places that serve Presidente, the official beer of the Dominican.

My Presidente...you got my vote!
I am about four weeks behind at this time on this bucket list item but there are plenty of days in the year left to catch up. Let me know of any of your favorites. Email me at bj.provoncha@gmail.com.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

VT Trip - Steve's Park Diner

Go to a retirement lunch

VT Trip - 2023