First New Restaurant of 2017

On a typical Tuesday, I meet up with old acquaintances at Lou's Blues for beers from four to six. We met almost every Tuesday in 2016 after our 2015 hangout closed and was suppose to move. It never did reappear so we became regulars at Lou's Blues. The bartenders know us and we are very comfortable there. Sometimes, my friend Mac Monroe and I go out to eat. he had told me of a new British Pub called Archie's Bar & Grill that he went to in December. He said they had authentic British fish and chips, made with haddock and/or cod. He had tried the haddock and was ready to try the cod. Did I want to go?

I hemmed, and then I hawed, and then I said let's go. It is located on Lake Washington Road, behind the Sun Trust Bank, adjoined with the Dunkin Donuts. A few things have come and gone in this spot, and the latest opened last March.
Front entrance to Archie's Bar & Grill with owners on deck
Knowing this was a new restaurant for me, I took the picture as we walked up from the parking lot. When I got on deck, the lady asked me if I was taking a picture of her. I said I was trying to catch the sign. She said she was an owner and asked if I had ever been here before. I said no and she said, "try the Scotch Egg, it is to die for."

I found inside that the owners are Paul & Amanda Whitehouse, both from England and now the proprietors of this fine establishment.
They had tables inside and out, but i told Mac I would like to sit at the bar. Our bartender was Tara and we ordered a Scotch Egg and two Fuller's London Pride drafts...
Amanda getting our beers at Archie's Bar & Grill
The Scotch Eggs, we found out, is a special that Amanda makes and is not always available. They let people know when a batch has been made on social media. Paul says they disappear fast. Mac and I decided to split one. I have had them at the Preacher's Pub in Cape Canaveral, but this was the first time I got one with the yolk still runny.
Scotch Egg, the bite gone was me, tried it before I got the camera out
It was delicious and she served it with a curry sauce. The sauce was great and Mac used it to dip his chips from his entree. Yummy!

I took pictures of the menu that I have included here....
Front side of Archie's Bar & Grill Menu
Back side of Archie's Bar & Grill Menu
I ordered the "Home Made Shepherd's Pie" because I could....
Shepherd's Pie at Archie's Bar & Grill
there was plenty and I saw they also have Shepherd's Boats and Shepherd's Fries. Not the best way to start the new year health-wise, but a wonderful way to start the new year if you want to treat yourself.

Mac ordered the Fish & Chips with the Cod. He said it was as good as the Haddock. Paul told us the portion for Cod would be smaller in the future, but Mac said this was more than enough...
Fish & Chips (with cod) at Archie's Bar & Grill
Tartar sauce on the left and homemade Cole slaw on the right.

Our second beer was a Birra Moretti La Rossa, a double bock, which they had on tap. They did not have Guinness Stout but they did have Murphy's stout on draft.

I asked Paul, the owner, if I could take his photo. He said sure....
Paul Whitehouse, owner with his wife Amanda of Archie's Pub & Grill
Mac was asking if they were ever going to have Steak and Kidney Pie. Paul said he would love to but Americans do not eat kidneys. I agreed with him. I have never had it, but I might try it. I like liver.

I asked Paul who Archie was and he said it was the family dog...

I give the place a 3.5 (Great to Excellent) and I plan to go back and try some other things. The owners were fun to talk with, and they having British accents does not hurt. But they seem to be enjoying the place and I think they will do really well. Try it out, it was "great to excellent"....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

VT Trip - Steve's Park Diner

Go to a retirement lunch

VT Trip - 2023