Going to Squid Lips

One of my favorite places to go to have some quick food and a cold beer is at Squid Lips, located right on the Indian River next to the Eau Gallie Causeway.  The first Squid Lips Overwater Grill opened on a small pier in Sebastian, back in 2004. It is still a popular place to go, just north of another favorite place, Captain Hirams. They first opened in Melbourne on The Eau Gallie Causeway Road, but out toward I-95. The building still is standing. The Melbourne place has a inside dining room amongst three large room, one on a porch. They have two inside bars and a bar on the deck called the Shark Bar. They have table service at the bar and also on the beach.  Here are a few views of the Indian River taken from deck of the Shark Bar...

This past Sunday, I went for another time to have a beer and listen to a band out on the deck. It was so crowded at 4 PM that I had to stand outside of the bar on the ramp to the beach. I caught this picture of the crowd from that vantage point.

A band called the Tree Frogs were playing. Hard to see them from my distant ramp but I was able to zoom in on one of the Frogs....

This is one of my favorite places to take relatives and friends from up North. I took my nephew Jared and his wife Sarah and their friend Adam Trombley. We had a great time, enjoyed some drinks and conch fritters. The full on dinners are great here but they have a limited menu at the bar and beach tables. But there is no limit on the rum drinks which they make really well. The view is not to bad either. What Florida life should be like...

As I mentioned, it is located on the Indian River Lagoon next to the Eau Gallie Causeway. That is the Eau Gallie bridge in the photo. A young boy was playing on the rocks...

The Melbourne Squid Lips is located a mere 1.5 miles from my house. I have actually walked it a few times. They have Happy Hour wings and oysters real cheap from 3-6 PM. The walk makes room for the beer to wash down the other food. The Squidlips in Sebastian is 23 miles away, on the west side of the Indian River Lagoon.

Sunday's trip to the Melbourne Squid Lips was instigated by a Facebook Event from Mad Hatters Promotion, specifically Gary Haas. He organizes get togethers and pub crawls. This Saturday July 22, there is a five bar crawl in Cocoa Village. Five drinks for $15. Here is the list

  • Starts at 7 pm at Norman’s Raw Bar 
  • Followed by 8 to 9 – Murdock’s Bistro (Stops serving crawlers at 10 pm) 
  • 9 to 10 – Pub Americana 
  • 10 to 11 – Cocoa Elks Lodge 1532 (315 Florida Avenue just south of Norman’s) 
  • 11 to Midnight – Dog N Bone


This is a picture of Gary at Squid Lips in Melbourne. I introduced myself and took this picture. He is always looking for new people to join is list. You can find him on Facebook and he has a web page too.

Other entertainment was provided on Sunday by the Melbourne Police. The policeman in shorts is from the Police patrol boat, and we think he was giving the young man a test of some sort.

It really was a bautiful day to be on the river. Here is another wide angle view...

I wanted a good picture of the Tree Frogs, but the sun ws shining on the guy in the white shirt. Either that, or he is an angel who glowed...











The clouds were pretty, you could see where the dragon use to be at the tip of Merritt Island, and where the new dragon will be built.

I guess the guy passed the police test because they let him go after calling a female friend. But I do not think he was happy, I zoomed in to the second picture for his wave goodbye. I think because he had the little boy and the dog with him, they let him call his friend (wife?) to drive the boat.


















Even if they is no entertainment on the river, there is always plenty to do at the Squid Lips of Melbourne. I will warn people that on Friday through Sunday, the parking lot is valet parking only. It is free, but if you do not want to use it you need to park at the Eau Gallie Library or other local parking.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

VT Trip - Steve's Park Diner

Go to a retirement lunch

VT Trip - 2023