Historical Photos on the Internet

It all started with a blurb in the Middlebury Magazine about archiving all the yearbooks for Middlebury College. It said there was a site that had scanned copies of each Kadeliescope from 1881 to the present. While searching the site and trying to find the yearbooks, I found this photo of a Middlebury College football game at Porter Field. It looked to be taken during the 1940s and  I was wondering why there were so many sailors at the game. Even the chain gang on this side of the field were in uniform.
Those were the visitor's bleachers but there must have been over a 100 Navy uniforms. Maybe the game was against Navy? I was curious and posted the photo on my wall on FaceBook.  Before anyone had responded, I found this on a Navy history site:
"The V-12 Navy College Training Program was designed to supplement the force of commissioned officers in the United States Navy during World War II. Between July 1, 1943, and June 30, 1946, more than 125,000 participants were enrolled in 131 colleges and universities in the United States. Numerous participants attended classes, and lectures at the respective colleges and earned completion degrees for their studies. "
 The list of colleges included Middlebury College. I decided to check out the yearbooks and see if the 1946 issue had anything about sailors on campus. It did, and almost every senior male was in a uniform. I captured a few pages of the yearbook:

 There was another great photo in the archival too, of a Navy band playing between the dormitories...

 I knew my dad and Uncle Ken had both graduated from Middlebury College, so I found their Senior pictures in the yearbooks.  My dad Harold had graduated in 1949. Here he is with some other Seniors:

Uncle Ken, the youngest of the Provoncha brothers, had graduated in 1951. Here he is:

Why stop there, I knew that my Uncle Moose, the third Provoncha brother, advertised in the yearbooks, so I found him in the 1967 issue. Uncle Moose died in 1968, way too young and full of life. I shared the photo on FaceBook too.

Well, what about other years? Maybe there were more photos. Right, I was. Uncle Moose in 1963...


In 1962, the photo was of Mark Many, who worked many years at the station...


1960...


1959...


1958...

Wow! The things you find online. Here is the Advertisers list from 1961...

Middlebury businesses in a nutshell. While I was searching, I did find a couple ski photos from the Middlebury College Snow Bowl. I spent my winter youth at the Bowl where my dad worked weekends in the kitchen. I have fond memories of the slopes, the buildings, and the people. Here are a few more photos I grabbed. The first is the Allen and Breadloaf Poma lift in 1965.

This is 1963, people watching the Winter Carnival Jumping competition from the Starr Lodge.

There is so much on the Internet, and more are being added every day. Take some time and enjoy the surf!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

VT Trip - Steve's Park Diner

Go to a retirement lunch

VT Trip - 2023