Plethora of New Restaurants

I have visited six new restaurants in the past few weeks. Three were local and three were on my short trip to St Petersburg. Here is my impressions of each. I am way ahead of schedule for 26 new places this year. I should be at 13 (makes sense since year is half gone) but I have done 18.

Island Time Marina & Restaurant - Cocoa Beach 

Not sure of the history of this place but it was my first visit. The place is located on 520 just pass the Sunset Waterfront Grill and right before Long Doggers. It is on the south side of the road. Parking lot was confusing but I think they have parking out back. The place is huge. There is an inside bar, an outback bar, and a upper deck bar. I sat under the hanging shark in the bar out back.


I ordered the lobster bisque to start. It was very tasty but the spoon was too small. I ended up drinking the soup like I do my miso at Japanese places. It was good though...


My lunch entree was the Island Time tacos with shrimp. There were lots of shrimp and it had cilantro slaw and mango salsa. Two soft tacos in the order. I enjoyed them, they were good.

The back bar is kind of open to the world and there is a back deck facing the marina. Here are a few photos of the downstairs out back bar and dining area.





I went up to the upper deck after I had finished my lunch. There is a great view of the marina and the bar was full. I could tell immediately that smoking was allowed at this bar. I jokingly thought that a few of the people were here when I moved to Florida back in 1979. They do have tables upstairs  and there is a bandstand out back. I see they have live music a few evenings each week.






The front inside has a game room, restrooms, and a full bar and dining area. There were not too many people the day I was there but it was a Tuesday at one in the afternoon.


My experience was good so I give the place a 2.0 (Good) on the BJ scale. It looks like it could be a really fun place to hang out on the weekend. The food was edible and the beer was cold (I just saw my friend Mac faint). It was mostly a Budweiser bar with a few local brews. I see that the menu has some interesting items like Tuna Poke Bowl and Lobster Ravioli. They have a PBR Boil with clams, shrimp, mussels, crawfish & andouille sausage. For 99 cents more you can add a PBR.

Crydermans Barbecue - Melbourne

I have been reading on the Facebook site that this place was real good. The original is in Cocoa and they just opened a second location in Melbourne. For a short time, this was a donut shop. It is located on New Haven a few doors down from Mustard's Last Stand and the Filling Station. Entrance...


You stand in line, order at a counter and pay. They have a drink dispenser and Barbeque sauces and plastic utensils. There are picnic tables outside. There is a small counter inside where you can eat.


I had ordered a Brisket sandwich and a side of the Smoked Out Beans. I got two of the sauces and a Corona in a can...The server asked if I wanted pickles and onions which they just placed on the tray. Two views, one as I set it down and the second to show that there was plenty of brisket on the sandwich. It was cooked like I like it. The beans were wonderful!



I was going to give the place a great but I dropped it to 2.5 (Good to Great) because you have to stand in line. Interestingly, they stay open until 4pm or until they run out of meat for the day. I was there around 1 pm and they were out of the smoked sausage. I will be back...

Le Crave - Rockledge/Suntree

This place has been open for a while and I have been wanting to go. I am of French heritage and I love crepes. I make my own at home but it was nice to try some out.


They had a few French beers on the menu. I had to try one.


I ordered from the savory crepes (description from menu):
Wild Tuna (Wild Caught)
Seared Tuna, chevre & Brie cheese, asparagus, caramelized onions, pesto basil sauce and lemon
Here is a wide view and a zoomed in view, and a view which tells you if I liked it or not...




The place is located on US1 near Suntree Boulevard. The entrance to the building is on the backside. It is the new multi story building, kind of ugly. Inside, the decor was very nice. Here are a few photos of the dining area.



I had a lovely time. It was crowded when I got there at 1 pm so I decided to go to the zoo where it started to rain. So I went back at about 2 pm and the place was less crowded. I give the place a 3.5 (Great to Excellent). The menu was full of crepes I would love to try. They also have sweet crepes, I watched the waiter serve a lady what I think was Crepes Suzette where they light up the liquor.



Red Mesa Mercado - St Petersburg

I arrived in St Petersburg on a Friday so my friend Teresa took me out to this Mexican place near the Tropicana Field. Again, this is a place where you order at a window and then they call your name to pick up the order. I had been to the Red Mesa Cantina a few times, this is their second place.


Teresa ordered a burrito and I ordered shrimp soft tacos. We added a order of chips and salsa because Teresa wanted me to try the homemade salsa. It was great. I added beans and rice to my order. They had Dos Equis on draft so I got an amber. A view of our meals and a close up of my tacos.



As we watched the Rays play the Angels, I took this photo of the counters for ordering and pick up.


I give this place a 2.5 (Good to Great). Again, it was great but you had to stand in a line...The food was all great!

Neighborhood Joe - St Petersburg

On Saturday morning before we headed to the unusual doubleheader, Teresa took me to a local breakfast lunch place called Neighborhood Joe. It is located on MLK but you park in back of the place. Here is Teresa heading toward the back door.


Guess what, you order at a counter, seems to be a trend these days... They have specialty coffees so I went for the Cafe au Lait. Teresa got a latte or something. The counter...


There are not a lot of tables but the place was not crowded.


Here is Teresa's coffee...


I ordered a breakfast burrito which had refried beans, two eggs, seasoned tofu crumble, mixed cheese, advocado, salsa mixed in a tortilla. Sorry, no photo but it was great. All items on the menu can be made vegan. They also have fresh donuts...


I did not get a donut but the food and service was great but I lowered my score to 2.5 (Good to Great). You know why by now....

Hofbrauhaus - St Petersburg

After the soccer game ended in a tie 1-1, we headed back to the car with Teresa's friends Robin and Steve. They recently bought a condo in the downtown area and said they walk everywhere. But it started to rain so we headed into a local place called Hofbrauhaus. The original is in Munich Germany, and walking into this place I felt I had left Florida.

When you enter the main hall, it is like you walked back outside into the open air. But it is all an illusion. It was weird to have some beer and eat some appetizers, and not have that sun get any lower.


The menu is extensively German but wad eaten earlier. I had an Original Hofbrau and our table also ordered a Dunkel No one ordered the Hefe Weizen. Teresa got wine.


This place was fun. They had two guys playing accordions walking around from table to table. You could tell the regulars because the were dancing and singing the German drinking songs. People were getting their butts smacked by a wooden. My understanding is that anyone that orders a shot gets the paddle. And they whack you. We could here smacks the whole time we were there.

The musicians were very entertaining. They basically can play anything. We heard the US National anthem, Sweet Caroline, Margaritaville, and many German drinking songs.

I think we got the Riesenbratwurst appetizer. I split it with Teresa and it was delicious. Steve & Robin ordered a pretzel. Wonderful time was had. I give the place a 3.5 (Great to Excellent) and looking forward to going back and having a proper meal, and maybe even have some more beer.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

VT Trip - Steve's Park Diner

Go to a retirement lunch

VT Trip - 2023