Visit Lawson's Finest Liquids

Usually when I visit Vermont, I always like to try at least one new brewery. On my latest trip, I took a drive from Middlebury across the Appalachian Gap on route 17. Arriving in Waitsfield I decided I would stop in at the Taproom at Lawson's Finest Liquids. Driving 17 across the mountains is a wonderful drive, and anyone visiting Vermont, I recommend you try it. On the East side, you pass through the Mad River Glen Ski Area and down to Route 100, known as the tourist by-way for foliage (leaf-peeping) and skiing. Ski areas along Route 100 include Okemo Mountain Resort, Mount Snow, Killington, Sugarbush, Mad River Glen, Stowe Mountain Resort and Jay Peak.

When I was in high school, we would cross this gap to eat at the China Barn. My brother John, then chef at the Dog Team, was close to the staff of this establishment in Waitsfield. I remember once with my parents we were treated to an 8 course Chinese meal. We also would play softball; Dog Team staff versus China Barn.

Turning North on 100, the Taproom and brewery can be found just off the main route. Here is the brewery building:


There is also a Store within the Tap room, which is very large. Looking at the south side...


There is a park where people can walk their dogs, but the dogs are not allowed in the Taproom. A look of some of the walkways as I enter the Taproom...



They did not serve flights but all the beers can be bought in different sizes including a 6 oz sampler, which is actually just a half glass. The bartender, serving me my first liquid...



The bar is spacious with many seats and there is both a large inside dining/drinking area as well as many outside tables. There were only a few people here but it was midweek and only 11 AM...



They did take a credit card and the bartender informed me I could just continue shopping  in the store using the same tab. From my bar seat, I could see into the store area which includes shirts, hats and beer. The beer belonged to an Spanish man, more on him later. There were a few fireplaces and sitting and game areas. I did use the facilities and they are very clean and modern...big too. I was told that during the ski season, it is a very popular place for apres ski activities which is French for getting liquid-faced!


They do serve food but are not a restaurant. There is a spot where you order the food from the kitchen and then pick it up yourself. The menu is mostly appetizers' I have included the menu below which I borrowed from their website. Since they were not busy, I ordered a Hummus Plate, which the bartender typed in and then also delivered.
House-made Beet Hummus, Roasted Pepitas, Cucumber and Red Hen Bread



After two samples, I decided to try the Can Special...


from the menu...



If you read the note, they have a no tip business model...There is also some cool artwork around the building including this cool photo of Camel's Hump in b&w...


The Spanish Man getting back on his bike. Some people asked him, while he was at the bar next to me, about his bike and it was interesting to eavesdrop and then I started to talk to him. He is from Spain, I think he said Girona which is a town near Barcelona. He had flew to Toronto and then Montreal where he got on his bike. He was headed to Boston, camping along the way and stopping at tourist sites. One site happen to be the Lawson's Taproom. He had just crossed 17 by bike and was enjoying a beer to rest. He spoke great English but did have an accent. He said he has done other trips around the world. I never think that people from foreign countries are planning trips through places like Vermont. He had a whole plan mapped out including stops and places to camp. He was heading down 100 South...I wish him well!


This photo is me being artistic and slightly lacking "The Space In Between".


I ended up buying $50 of beer which I just shared with my nephew Brandon this morning in Florida. I will admit, they have the most colorful beer cans around...the display...


I do consider this a new place in my bucket list and I give the place a 3.5 (Great to Excellent). I am sure it is a 5.0 (Memorable) during Apres Ski!
My two samples were Above the Clouds and Chinooker'd IPA.

The borrowed menu

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

VT Trip - Steve's Park Diner

Go to a retirement lunch

VT Trip - 2023