Shelburne Museum Continued


I want to continue discussing my visit to Shelburne Museum last fall in Vermont. The blue path is what I have already discussed in past posts, and the red line is what I will talk about today.



My first stop was the Horseshoe Barn and the Annex to that barn. Like the Round barn, it is full of sleds and wagons. They also have some of the equipment used in wintertime sledding. This includes furs to keep you warm...


Here comes the bridles...

The Horseshoe Barn has two floors and each are covered with old style sleds and wagons...



My next stop was at the Print Shop. There were many presses and some of them are in working order. There was a printer (man) in the building that you could watch and ask him questions about the devices. This is a photo of one of the bigger machines they had...



Next to the Print Shop was the Weaving Shop. Again, a weaver was present and she would also answer your questions. I have always found these machines interesting because of the patterns, very mathematical...

The towels hanging on the left in the above photo were all weaved on this machine.

Did you know that punch cards were first developed as a method to set patterns for the weaving machines. When I started at ENSCO back in 1980, we were still using punch cards to program the IBM mainframe (a machine of a different type).

Here is a photo of a different weaving machine...


A spinning wheel was used to create yarn from the sheared wool of a sheep. When I was in college during summer work study, I had the pleasure of creating some thread on a wheel just like this one...


After leaving the Shops, I took this photograph of the Horseshoe Barn. You can see how big it is...


Next stop was the jail. This jail has two cells and one small stove to heat them both...


My next stop was the Hat and Fragrance Textile Gallery. There is a gallery of Helen Bruce Dioramas.



One of the more simple dioramas...


Some of the dioramas were much more complex...



I liked this diorama because there was art inside the art...


The textile gallery has plenty of guilts and other wall hangings. Here is a small sampling of what they have...some being simple and some very complex...


They have a whole room dedicated to Bandboxes...


I left this area quickly because I was feeling a little boxed in...


Another of the many quilts hanging in the textile gallery...


The next stop was the toy shop...they have many rooms in a cramped area. You get the feeling you are looking inside some's home at their collection. This area was all metal toys of trains and fire engines...

I end this post with a very small metal train...


I have lots more pictures than what I have shared here, if you have an interest in seeing more let me know and I will send you an email full of whatever you might want to see....I plan to do one or two more posts on my Shelburne Museum visit...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

VT Trip - Steve's Park Diner

Go to a retirement lunch

VT Trip - 2023