Dad - Baseball Moment

 One of my many tasks I have assigned myself is to get my Dad's journal into a digital file. First, I had to learn how to read my father's handwriting, and then I had to learn how to type faster. Neither of these have been accomplished. But I did type in this "entry" this morning from March 1982.

BJ came over Sunday morning, and he drove us down to Vero in his new Camaro – dropping Mom Shackett off on the way – we took in a ball game with Dodgers vs Mets – went over to talk to Bill Monbouquette – a former Red Sox pitcher – he is a friend of Ken. BJ took a picture of us together. Bruce Bochy pinch hit for the Mets and caught last two innings. Dodgers won 5 to 0. We had a good day, and sat in same 3rd base shaded area.

First, here is the photo of Harold with the former Red Sox pitcher: 


I looked up Monbouquette in Wikipedia and found out that he had a No-hitter for the Sox in 1962. It was against the White Sox (1-0) and he had only one walk in the game, so it was nearly a Perfect game. Another interesting start he had was on September 25, 1965, in a game against the Kansas City A's, he was the starting pitcher versus 58-year-old Hall of Famer Satchel Paige. Monbouquette threw a complete game for his tenth win of the season, but also became the final strikeout victim of Paige's career in the 3rd inning. Wow!

The Ken my dad mentions is his brother and my Uncle. He was a scout for the Red Sox back in the day. I assume that is how he knew Bill but I am not positive. Maybe one of Ken's kids can tell me.

Also, Dad mentions a catcher by the name of Bruce Bochy. He had played at both Melbourne High School and Brevard Community College. He did make it to the Majors and tonight will be managing the Texas Rangers in the World Series. Another Wow!

Finally, Dad says I drove them in my new Camaro. Here it is with me in my baseball uniform. I was playing in the Stan Musial League and my catcher was Mark Mellen, who happen to be the backup catcher to Bochy at both Mel Hi and BCC.


I had moved out from Mom and Dad's trailer in 1982 and was living in Indian Harbour Beach. This was our driveway.

I enjoy the task of typing Dad;s journal, it brings back both sad and happy feelings. Enjoy!

Comments

  1. Great story about your dad, BJ! I especially like the part that mentions the Mets. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

VT Trip - Steve's Park Diner

Go to a retirement lunch

VT Trip - 2023