2020 NCL Cruise Day 6

 Well the cruise was half over and now we were entering new territory for me on a cruise ship. I had been to Jamaica and the Cayman Islands before, but now we were heading toward the country of Honduras. Specifically, an island on the North coast called Roatan. As we approached the island in the morning, I could see another NCL ship heading to Coxen Hole, our port of call. Sorry the photo is hazy but there is a lot of moisture in the air, some people call it humidity.


Above, we were heading West, and then we would swing around into a channel and head back East toward the dock. This island was very exotic with jungle looking areas and nice homes along the water. There was also a church.


The other NCL ship docked first of course, and we being a bigger ship headed toward a bigger dock.


Under new construction, there was a large Port of entry. The front side was full of stores and eating places, you could visit Honduras and never actually enter into the country. The back side was full of taxis and other transportation. If you had signed up for an excursion, this is where you would go. Tom and I would do some tourist shopping at this port after we enjoyed a walk into Coxen Hole.


I do not see the pleasure in having little fish eat dead skin off your feet and legs. At this time I had a cat who would do it for me. Tourists!!


Tom and I did not walk very far before we saw a little dive bar, Salva Vida is a Honduran-American style lager beer. It's brewed and bottled by Cerveceria Hondurena, S.A. in San Pedro Sula, Honduras. Salva Vida has been Honduras' leading beer since 1916. I think it was my first Honduran beer.

The bar was mostly a pier over the water and named appropriately Aqua-Bar.. They had a live band. After a few beers I got relaxed and starting asking the band questions. They looked confused and then our waiter told me they did not speak English. So I shut up, listened to their music,  and drank my cervesa. I should mention that all the local beers cost $3 American.


Imperial (Cerveza Imperial) is a Costa Rican lager. Imperial is also known by Costa Ricans as "Aguila" or "Aguilita", which translates into English as "Eagle" or "Little Eagle" in reference to the beer's logo


Barena is one of the big Honduran beers, along with Salva Vida, Imperial, and Port Royal. All four are owned by Cerveceria Hondureña, which also owns the Coca-Cola brand.


I had mentioned our waiter. Here he is arm-wrestling with Tom. His name was Martin Luther and he even showed us his driver's license to prove it. What a joy he was as a server. Of course we were getting drunk on the local beers so we would have been happy with Scrooge.


The fourth beer in the Honduran list was this one. Port Royal is a pale lager with a malty flavor and notes of grass, lemon, and hoppy cleansing in the finish.


Here is the street view of Aqua-Bar. We did talked to the owner and I think he was from Canada, hence the flag. He was an owner of a sail boat travelling through the Caribbean. He ended up on Roatan and bought the bar. Tom and I never made all the way to Coxen Hole. We just staggered back to the ship.


The Aqua-bar can be seen in the center of this photo, next to the little cyan building...


I zoomed in, you can see the white chairs and tables on the pier. Sadly, when I went to check it out on Google Earth, it was no longer there. I think it failed because of the pandemic.


The sun set was lovely...


As we were leaving the port, I took this shot of the sun setting over the island of Roatan.

The ship always had computer displays of where we were at any time and I took this shot as we were leaving Honduras.

That was Day 6!

Post note: a small restaurant opened near my home and I visited it to try it out. It was owned by a Honduran family. Father was the host, mother was the cook, and the daughter was the waitress. It was great but did not last long. Nothing has reopened at the site. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

VT Trip - Steve's Park Diner

Go to a retirement lunch

VT Trip - 2023