Photograph Hokule'a

I got up early this morning. My plan was to drive to Titusville to take photographs of the sailing vessel Hokule'a. I was not able to find any details of the agenda for the departure of the canoe. I knew it had arrived in Brevard three days ago, making a unplanned stop in Indian Harbour Beach. I knew it had stopped at Titusville so they could visit the Kennedy Space Center, and also to change crews.  The canoe has been sailing since 2013, navigating around the world.
The stern of the Hokule'a
It intrigued me and I wanted to see it. But as I said, there were no details. I logged into my computer and checked again. All I found was a blog note from one of the crew saying they were getting up at seven on Friday. I figured from that information that they probably would be sailing around eight so I set sail in my Honda Accord and headed north to Titusville. The canoe was still there.
My first view of the Hokule'a
First off, I had never been to the Titusville Municipal Marina before.  I have driven by it on US 1, but never thought about stopping.  It is a fairly large marina, and from the web page for the Hokule'a, I knew exactly where the boat was moored. Boats were busily being placed in the water at the public access, and there was a nice park at the point with picnic tables and benches. The boat was right in front of me. It had already sailed from Hawaii to the Polynesian Islands, crossed over with stops in Australia and South Africa. It had crossed the Atlantic and hit the north shore of South America. It even had stopped in Cuba.
The Hokule'a as seen from my bench at the Public Park
I borrowed the following blurb from the official webpage, www.hokulea.com:

To start, Hōkūleʻa engaged with the Seminole people of South Florida. “We believe that the first people we should see is first peoples. Out of respect. So coming into Florida, in the Key West area, knowing that this is the land of the Seminoles, we’re working with them to trust us that we’re coming for the right reasons.” After visiting with the first people of South Florida, Hōkūleʻa will voyage to Cape Kennedy where crew will visit the NASA Space Center to honor Hawai‘i astronaut Lieutenant Colonel Lacy Veach.

“The country needs to know that Lacy was the one that planted the idea as a seed into us in 1992 to take Hōkūleʻa around the world.” said Thompson, “Florida becomes foundational for us to articulate and communicate to this country that that’s why we’re coming – out of respect, and out of honoring and making sure that they know that Lacy’s legacy counts. I don’t think we can go up the coast until we establish that.”

Not only were they changing crews, but they also were resupplying the canoe. I had noticed they had bins full of fresh fruit including bananas, pineapples, mangoes and of course, Florida Oranges!

Plenty of supplies of fresh Florida oranges on the Hokule'a
I knew they were getting ready to set out when all the people gathered on the dock and held hands. I could not hear what was being said, but I am sure it was a prayer for safe travels.
The crew of the Hokule'a gathered with others before they left
One of the ladies, watching on the point with me, told me that the boat has no engines of it's own. It only uses wind power. But of course, in this day and age, the ship needs to be helped through certain waterways.  I was hoping to catch a picture of the boat under sail, which is a beautiful sight. But the lady said it was not going to sail until after it reached New Smyrna Beach.
The Hokule'a leaving Titusville
A small fishing boat was providing the power to leave the crowded marina. There were maybe only 15 people on the shore with me. A few of them were Hawaiians. There was a lady with her dog and another lady with a sign.  As the boat was leaving, one of the crew blew on a shell. One of the Hawaiians on shore had a shell too and he blew back. I have a video of the exchange but it is too big to post. I did catch a picture of the return call.
Hokule'a crew member blowing a conch shell
Then the Hawaiian guy started to sing. He was a big guy and he had a beautiful voice. He kind of reminded me of the Hawaiian singer Izzy Kamakawiwo'ole. You probably have heard his rendition of "Over the Rainbow", very moving.

I did video part of the song, but it is a large file and I cannot include it here. I caught a photo of the guy with his friends, one in a wheelchair.
The Hawaiian guy getting ready to sing (Max Brewer bridge)
I took a few more photos of the Hokule'a as it left the harbor and sailed into the Indian River. I was so glad that I had made the trip.
Hokule'a leaving Titusville with the sun rising over the Max Brewer Bridge

Hokule'a
There was one lady who had made a sign for the crew. I know what Aloha means, but I am not sure what the rest says. I am not sure if it is Hawaiian or Maori. But she waved it high and the crew waved back.

The next stop for Hokule'a is Charleston and then it will continue up the east coast of the USA. It will cross the Atlantic Ocean twice more, once as it crosses to Europe and then as it returns to the Panama canal to head back to Hawaii.

Safe journey Hokule'a!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

VT Trip - Steve's Park Diner

Go to a retirement lunch

VT Trip - 2023