More New Restaurants

Tuesday would have been my father's birthday if he were still with us. Dad liked to eat at diners and places that served home cooking. Of course, my mom was the greatest home cooker around. So, in memory of my father, I drove to West Melbourne to have a late lunch at Ethel & Fred's Entree Restaurant. It is located in the Metro West Shopping Center at the corner of Wickham Road and US 192 (New Haven Avenue).
Outside of Ethel & Fred's
I remember there use to be a Draft House Theater, a place where you could order beer and food while watching a first run movie.  Every other row of seats were tables. Gret place. But that was then....this is now....
White Board with Specials of the Day
I got in to the Restaurant around 2 PM. It is only open until 3 and the crowd was very thin.  It took them a while to see that I was there. They lose a point for that. They did have a whiteboard with the specials for the day, and I liked what I saw. The place is wide open, not great ambiance, but I have heard the food is good. I think they specialize in breakfast. Here is the view from the table I selected.
Ethel & Fred's counter area and kitchen through the double door
One special was the roast pork with two sides. I got the mashed potatoes and green beans. I asked for gravy on the meat and potatoes. There was a choice of dinner roll or cornbread, I choose the latter. It was not too long before the food came out. I had ordered a soda and she brought out a glass with ice and a can of Diet Coke. I thought that was a little strange.
Special: Roast Pork with mashed potatoes, green beans & cornbread
The waitress said I could have a second can of soda at no charge, the price included one refill.  The food was hot and delicious, but it was a simple dish to prepare. I give the place a 2 (Good) and I think I would like to try it sometime for breakfast.  Maybe Desi & Lucy will be there....

On Wednesday, I had to take Nancy to the Melbourne Airport. As I was driving home down Babcock Street, I saw the next new restaurant I wanted to try.  It is the TNT BBQ Grill located across the street from the Cuban Sandwich place.  A long time ago, it use to be a Dairy Queen.
The recently opened TNT BBQ Grill
They have been open for a while. Originally, they were open for breakfast and lunch, but now they just do the 11-3 lunch.  I did talk to the owner David, and he said soon they will start serving dinner, but not breakfast. David owns a Food Truck that is at the Renningers Flea Market off of I-95 at the end of Sarno Road. They are only open Friday, Saturday and Sunday out there.
Sign on Babcock Street in Melbourne
Currently, the place is not a sit down with waiters. You order at the counter and then sit. They bring you the food at your table. I have included a picture of the menu which still has breakfast items on it.
TNT BBQ Grill Menu at Counter
They had two specials for the day and one was the Beef Brisket with one side and a drink. I got the potato salad as a side and it also comes with Texas Toast.
Beef Brisket, Potato Salad & Texas Toast at TNT BBQ Grill
At first, I thought they were a little chincy on the meat but when you start to pull it apart, there was plenty and it was delicious. They do have tacos on the menu and David said he may add a brisket taco. That would be good!  I give the place a 3 (Great) and I told David I would be back.  He said he gets lots of take out orders from DRS which is just a short walk away. He runs it with his wife and son, and everybody there was extremely friendly. If you get a chance, help a family out! They do have a Facebook page.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

VT Trip - Steve's Park Diner

Go to a retirement lunch

VT Trip - 2023