Request for a request

After my first post on the Quest for the World's Best Bloody Mary, I received requests from people to go along on this re-quest. At this time, I am using the quest as a way to get my friend Jim out of the house during the week and give him and I some time together. So Jim and I went out again on Thursday, March 2, to try a few more places. We did talk about inviting others on a Sunday run, which will be to places that do special Bloody Marys on that day only. That lists include Meg O'Malleys and the Time Out Bar in Cocoa Beach. I also heard about Tracy's Bar in Suntree and any others people may suggest.

I had Jim pick me up at my house since my plan was to hit downtown Melbourne. He said I could drive his truck which I did, and I found out it is a pain in the ass to try and park a truck after driving a car for most of my life. We left the house at 11:16 AM.
Jim's truck at our first stop
My plan was to go straight to New Haven Avenue in Melbourne, but the traffic was so thick on US 1 that I turned onto the Melbourne Causeway. We then headed over to Ichabod's Dockside, located in Melbourne on the water at the end of Crane Creek. Arrived there at 11:51 AM. We both ordered our spicy Bloody Marys. Here is a photo of mine...
Bloody Mary at Ichabod's Dockside
Ichabods is a nice waterfront restaurant. I love it here and come for lunch periodically. I usually have a beer so the Bloody Mary was a change. I took a picture of my view from my bar stool...
BJ's view from bar stool at Ichabod's Dockside
Jim was not too happy with the spiciness of the drink so he asked the bartender if she had some horseradish. She said they had some in the kitchen and got Jim a small container. The drink was only $4.50 and came in a 12-ounce glass. Here is Jim filling his drink...
Jim adding horseradish to his Bloody Mary at Ichabod's Dockside
A very pretty woman was at the bar and she overheard my great sense of humor and asked about my camera. I told her I bought it for a Galapagos trip and she asked for the address to my blog. As we left, I told Jim I regret that I did not catch a picture of Cali, the pretty woman. She was in town to bury her father so I did not feel right hitting on her.

We headed East on Melbourne Causeway and stopped at the Copperhead Tavern on Fifth avenue in Indiatlantic. It is one of many places owned by Djon. One of his places, City Tropics, closed down recently. They said they are building a marketplace with stores and a new restaurant. Our bartender Frank said they were going to have a bar on the roof. We arrived at 12:06 PM  and went to the back entrance of the Copperhead Tavern...
Copperhead Tavern in Indiatlantic
Of course, Jim and I ordered our spicy Blood Mary and I asked Frank for some horseradish which he got from the kitchen and added for us while he mixed the drinks. He also put in some Tabasco and Worcestershire sauce. There was no celery but he did add a pickle that was made at the Tavern. The drink was very good, came in a 14-ounce glass, and cost $7.
Bloody Mary at Copperhead Tavern
I wanted to get a photo of the crowd as Jim and I sat at the bar....
Jim waving at the Copperhead Tavern
I figured we hit Ocean 302 in Melbourne Beach but it was closed. I am not sure why so we went over to the Sun on the Beach, another place owned by Djon. The parking place was packed so we headed back to Melbourne. Once over the causeway, I turned to go down under US 1 and over to the Bar Refuge. Jim had never been there either. We arrived at 1:09 PM.
Inside the Bar Refuge in Downtown Melbourne
Jim saw the Swamp Ape sign and asked me to take a photo. His son Eulan works at Florida Brewing and he designs the artwork. This was one of his designs...
Swamp Ape sign in Bar Refuge
No one was in the place. The bartender was also the owner. I told Jim she had been on the show Bar Rescue. Her name is Tracy Rebelo. I looked it up when I got home. The place was called the Piratz Tavern in Silver Spring Maryland.  Look the story up, it was a real battle with all kinds of Social Media shenanigans.
Bloody Mary at Bar Refuge served by Tracy
The drink was pretty thin. I did like that they put Old Bays on the rim, which gave the drinks some kick. She did give Jim same Ghost Pepper sauce to mess with. The drink was big and only $5, but it lacked the taste Jim and I liked. I took a picture of the hibiscus as we left...
Hibiscus outside the Bar Refuge in Melbourne
I decided our last stop would be on New Haven Avenue. I heard that PC Keats has closed down. I turned at Matt's Casbah and there was a parking spot right in front. I had to take it and after some truck finagling, we entered the bar at 1:46 PM. We ordered two spicy Bloody Marys...
Bloody Mary at Matt's Casbah
The celery was a full stick and the drink was spicy. Jim kept wondering what the flavor was and I thought it was Sriracha. I finally asked the bartender and he verified my taste buds and said they use Sriracha.
Jim stirring his Bloody Mary at Matt's Casbah
We were sitting at the outside bar and the weather was beautiful. We had not eaten anything so I told Jim I knew that had Piggy Wings and we should order that as an appetizer. We were going to get the Buffalo sauce but the bartender said the Thai sauce was better.
My piggy wing and second Bloody Mary at Matt's Casbah
The Bloody Mary was so good here, and we knew it was our last stop, we ordered a second drink. The drinks came in a pint glass and cost $6.  The piggy wing is a pork shank and is served like regular wings, with blue cheese dressing and celery and carrot sticks. We each got one and it was very good.
My piggy wing with Thai sauce and blue cheese
Again, we had a successful day. We arrived back at my house at 3:13 PM. Four hours, five Bloody Marys, two piggy wings, and a Bahama sushi roll (sorry no photo).

Now some analysis....I have had 23 Bloody Marys on this re-quest...

  • Bar Refuge ended up in 22nd place with a score of 38
  • Ichabod's Dockside ended up in a tie for 18th place with a score of 45
  • Copperhead Tavern moved into 8th place with a score of 60
  • Matt's Casbah moved into a tie for 2nd place with a score of 66

Captain Hirams is also in second place. First place is still held by that little Airport bar in Hayden Colorado.
Cheers!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

VT Trip - Steve's Park Diner

Go to a retirement lunch

VT Trip - 2023