Rocket launch from Eau Gallie Causeway

A week ago today there was another launch from Cape Canaveral. As I have mentioned, I like to get photos of the launches and now with SpaceX, even landings. The Shuttle use to land but it would drop from high up like a rock. Unless you were in Titusville or near the landing strip, you would never see it. You would hear the sonic booms but that was all we would get in south Brevard.

Launches are a different thing. I have taken photos from my house and I like to go to Port Canaveral to get some close ups. This particular launch I had another obligation so I did not want to make the drive to the port. I had never tried from the Eau Gallie Causeway, which was on the way to where I was heading.

I stopped at the boat ramp on the east and south side of the Eau Gallie Causeway. I took a picture of a boat anchored in the Indian River looking south toward the Melbourne Causeway...
Looking south from Eau Gallie Causeway

If you have ever been to a launch, you know there is a lot of waiting time. There are sites that give the status of the launch, but realize that SpaceX is a private company and does not cover as well as NASA use to for their launches. Good thing is there are plants and animals to photograph while waiting...
Flower on the Eau Gallie Causeway

Where I was located, I was able to get a picture of the mansion that is being torned down on the south point of Merrit Island. This were the Indian River splits off into the Banana River.  There was an article in the paper that day about the razing...
South Merrit Island Mansion being torn down

Of course there are birds on a causeway including this brown pelican, flying slowly near the fishermen on the bridge of the causeway....
Brown Pelican from below

Just glad this bird was not arrogant, you know, full of sh*t....

Part of the mansion being knocked down is a green dragon that use to guard the entrance to the Banana River. Over ten years ago, it was destroyed by heavy winds and waves of a hurricane or other such storm. I tried to get a photo of it. The good news is that the new owners of the property have a plan to rebuild the dragon. I have heard it will be two headed and fire could be involved...
Remnants of the Dragon and her babies on tip of Merrit Island

For those who are not local to Brevard, the Kennedy Space Center is located on Merrit island. This little strip gets a lot wider as you head North.

Back to the launch. According to my clock, it was a few minutes late or I just had the time wrong. But close to the time I got to see the rocket go up. The unique thing about this launch was that the first stage rocket was a reused one, landed in a previous launch. SpaceX is trying to cut costs of launches by reusing the rockets. The plan is to reuse them multiple times. So I had seen this rocket, a Falcon 9, launch before. The boat on the right is in front of the Eau Gallie Yacht Club (light blue building.)
SpaceX Falcon 9 launch over Eau Gallie Yacht Club

Trying to be creative, I caught the rocket as it passed a phone line, covered with fishing gear and lines from past anglers. I just love the "rocket red glare".
SpaceX Falcon 9 passes fishing gear

The payload for this launch was the SES-10, a geostationary communications satellite to be operated by SES. It will be positioned on the 67° West position thanks to an agreement with the Andean Community to use the Simón Bolivar 2 satellite network. Even from this distance, just under 30 miles, you can still see the launch very clearly. Of course, it was a very clear day to watch a launch....
SpaceX Falcon 9 carrying SES-10

Contrail forming on Falcon 9 launch from Cape Canaveral

Stage 2 rocket of Falcon 9

The stage 1 rocket successfully landed on a barge in the ocean. It will be checked closely to see the affect of using a second time. The satellite and mission was also successful.

I feel very lucky to live on the Space Coast where these launches are becoming a monthly event. Between SpaceX, ULA, and the Air Force, the launch schedule is very full. If you would like to see a launch, let me know, I do have an extra room....




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

VT Trip - Steve's Park Diner

Go to a retirement lunch

VT Trip - 2023