Saying Goodbye to a Place

There are places we go to that we assume will always be there. Year after year, we find that we want to go back, and know we will get what we want just like it has always been. These places become part of our life. Typically, it is a bar or a tavern, and sometimes it is a restaurant that has always been dependable with food, service and homey environment. You start to have special occasions at the establishment, and you bring other family and friends to enjoy in that indescribable reason that brings you back. It is like a good friend that is there if you need them. After 35 years, you realize that the place is part of your life.

The TV show Cheers was about such a place. There was a bar and a dining area, and people went because as the theme song say "Sometimes you want to go, where everybody knows your name..."

Last week, I went to one of my dependable places called Doubles. They opened in 1983 when I was living within walking distance in Indian Harbour Beach, and it was just a short drive from where I worked in Shopper's World. Lunch was either eaten in or taken back to the office. But now, they are closing at their current location. June 28 was the last time they would be open. Good news is that if you visit their web site, it says "Coming Soon Doubles Beachside 3.0."

Doubles 1.0 was in the strip mall across the street from the current location of Doubles 2.0 on South Patrick Drive in IHB. I am excited to see where 3.0 will be located.

When they moved to their current location, the kitchen got bigger so did the menu. It was a counter restaurant where you made your ordered and they would call your name when it was ready

But I remember that the original place was pretty much a sandwich shop which had a game room. I remember that all the sandwiches had names derived from tennis terms. Each sub could be purchased as a salad without the roll. My favorite was always the Ace, and sometimes the Game. The current list of some of the cold submarines:

Ace (Italian) . . . . . . . . . . . . .     $7.24
Ham, Capicola, Salami, Provolone

Smash . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .      $7.71
Ham, Roast Beef, Turkey Breast, Provolone

Game . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .   $7.24
Ham, Capicola, provolone


Set . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  $7.24
Ham, Turkey Breast, Provolone

Match . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  $7.24 
Ham, Roast Beef, Provolone

Volley . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  $7.71
Roast Beef, Turkey Breast, Provolone


I cannot even count how many sandwiches I had through the years. Back in the late 1990s, I was coaching youth football beach-side with my great friend Fred Arnold. Here is a photo of us with our 1995 team. I am in the back right, skinny still after only 12 years of Doubles sandwiches


I bring up the football because we use to have our end-of-the-season parties at Doubles 1.0. The next photo is me with Head Coach Fred near the pool tables talking to Mike Williams, a local contractor. His son Matt was on the team.

Fred and I would give out trophies  to each of the kids on the team. In this photo, you can see "The Pines" across the street, which would become the future home of Doubles 2.0.


I do not remember what year Doubles moved, but I know the new place was bigger and better. They added a Tiki bar and had live music on weekends. They had a second bar near the pool tables, and a banquet room for special occasions. I went to a graduation party there. Even the sign got bigger...


Fred, who lived in Indian Harbour Beach, became a regular there. On Thursday, he would be at the Tiki bar having drinks with his friends. So it was obvious when Fred died way too young, that we would have the memorial for him at Doubles. Fred's whole family showed up and we marched Fred's ashes out to a remote area, to leave him for eternity in the place he loved! Here is the march from Doubles to Mather's bridge.


Friends of Fred gathered at the Tiki bar including Dave & Leeney, Ed, Jim and Paul. Even in a death, Doubles was that comfortable place where we could feel okay, and say goodbye to a friend.

Without Fred I still went to Doubles, to meet up with people I have met through the years, because of football, both youth and Penn State, golf, or just having a drink. When I bought my current Canon camera in 2015, the week before I headed to the Galapagos, I took my first pictures at Doubles. Here is the band playing on that cold February evening...

It makes sense that the same three guys were playing the last night that Doubles was opened. Comfort!

Here are a few more photos of the last night. It was raining out and it was hot inside. The parking lot was full and overflowing. My cousin Pam was there, and my good friends Julie & Carol. There were many others I recognized and I probably knew their names...

Doubles 3.0 is coming soon, but 2.0 will be sorely missed...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

VT Trip - Steve's Park Diner

Go to a retirement lunch

VT Trip - 2023