A Simple Question

Sometimes, a simple question can reveal an interesting story. A story you may not be aware of, but upon hearing it, you want to share. That happened to me on Saturday morning, March 23.  I knew that the FIT Women's rowing team was having a meet at Canal 54 in Fellsmere Florida. I was early and I wanted to get some photos while the "light" was still good. The Women's 8 was doing a practice run, they had two races scheduled. I took a photo of the boat name...


I knew the head coach of the rowing team, Adam Thorstad, through my volunteer work at the Indoor Sprints. Adam has been head coach for the team the last 12 seasons. I watched the team come in to the finish area and watched them removed the boat from the water.

FIT Women's 8 on practice run

The eight rowers prepare to lift the boat under the guidance of the coxswain

The boat is lifted out of the water

The boat is inverted above the rowers heads
 It was the name of the boat that I was curious about "Ssgt Thomas P. Thorstad USMC".

So I asked Adam the simple question "Is the name on the boat your father?"

Adam said it was and when I asked if he was still alive, he said "No, he was killed in Beirut by a bomb."  I muffled out "How tragic" and he told me the story of how the boat was named.

It wasn't until I got home that I looked up the story. It was the bombing of the barracks in 1983 that killed 241 US Marines. Adam must have just been a kid when it happened. But even with such a horrific event in his life, Adam has turned into a fine young family man and caring rowing coach.

On this day, there were four teams competing, I plan another post on that story. Adam held the pre-race meeting with coaches and coxswains. The head referee was Tim Edsel.


One of the things I like about this sport is that the rowers are in charge of their boat and equipment. They must get the boat in the water on time, and do not forget the oars, which look heavy too. The boats are never left in the water, I am not sure why. Here the "Ssgt Thomas P. Thorstad USMC" is being launched for the first race.


Coach Adam follows in a truck along the north side of the canal, filming the race.


The "Ssgt Thomas P. Thorstad USMC" finishes the first race.


Coach Adam watches the finish from the truck...


Again, the rowers, who happen to be from all over the world (you just have to listen to them talk), remove "Ssgt Thomas P. Thorstad USMC" from the water...


Coach Adam had his two daughters with him (on the left), his wife was home sick with a cough. The other two kids were a nephew and a niece, his mom is hidden on the right...


The "Ssgt Thomas P. Thorstad USMC" raced again and won the race easily.


I guess it helps to have a USMC Sergeant watching over the race; it is his boat you know.

If you have never been to a rowing event, I recommend you go, another post on rowing to follow...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

VT Trip - Steve's Park Diner

Go to a retirement lunch

VT Trip - 2023