Three Forks Conservation Area

A 30 minute drive from my home and I found myself in the middle of nowhere. It was my first visit to the Three Forks Marsh Conservation Area, in particular, the Thomas O Lawton Recreation Area.

Located West of Palm Bay, I got there by turning down the St Johns Heritage Parkway, a road never travelled by me before. When you hit Malabar Road, you turn right and go by Heritage High School. I have never seen a high school so far away from people, there was a farm selling bulls next to the school. After passing the school, Malabar Road turns to a dirt road and then takes a turn to the south. Here it is pavement again and a mile further is the Recreation Area. The park has some picnic tables and bathrooms. I took these photos of the signs at the area...


There is a boat dock here...not too crowded...


The views of the marsh land is beautiful. I thought there be more birds but there were some beautiful thunderheads...this is looking West...


And this is looking South...


I walked out onto one of the boat docks and took this picture looking East...



Here is the other boat ramp looking North...


There were some nice lily pads...


As I was walking around, a truck pulled up with an airboat on a trailer. I talked to the guy and saw that his truck had a "Nuisance Alligator Trapper" from the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commision. I asked if he was going out for gator and he said he was, he had some other guys he was taking out. I asked if I could take some photos as they left.


While these guys were getting their paperwork settled, another airboat arrived by truck and this guy started it up and flew around the dock right onto the land. An interesting fact about the area, there are over 70 miles of hiking trails along the dykes. You could hike all the way from US-192 down to the Stick Marsh in Fellsmere. Because of the storm clouds, I decided not to hike too far from the car.

The alligator hunters are ready to set out. The driver is also a taxidermist and does alligators, boars and other wildlife. The guy in front in the black shirt said he had used the guy a few times and he does a great job. They were on their way (you can see a crossbow between the two front passengers)...


Leaving the dock area...


Taking their time down the channel....


Taking their time for one last beer...


The first airboat was still on the grass as the second airboat was heading down the canal. The last thing the driver said after I wished them luck was "I hope we don't get wet!" and they disappeared into the distance.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

VT Trip - Steve's Park Diner

Go to a retirement lunch

VT Trip - 2023