Hit my goal for year

I wanted to try 26 new places to eat in 2019 and I have hit the goal with 3 months remaining. Here are the last four places with a short review of each...
  1. A Steakhouse in Dunn North, Carolina
  2. A Brewery in Waitsfield, Vermont
  3. A fancy Restaurant in Eau Gallie, Florida
  4. A seafood Station in Indian Harbour Beach, Florida

Sagebrush Steakhouse

On my drive to Vermont, I decided this year to make it in 3 days, 2 full days on the road and one half day. The first day (not sure why I left on 9/11) I was able to make it to Dunn, NC. After driving 583 miles, I stayed at the Hampton Inn - Hilton. Out front of the hotel was a Steakhouse called Sagebrush. I googled it and see there are 17 locations, most of them in North Carolina. The front of the restaurant...



There was a large dining area and also a room with tables and booths plus a long bar. Since I was alone, I asked the host to sit me at the bar. The bartender brought me a Goose Island IPA and a menu. There were lots of choices of BBQ....here is one page of the menu...


I decided to get the BBQ Trio. The bartender brought me out this plate of very hot rolls with butter. After driving all day, I probably would have eaten anything but these were very tasty and did I say they were hot!


 The menu said the BBQ Trio came with slaw and one side but the bartender said I could get two sides. I ordered mashed potatoes and green beans. The three BBQs included a chicken breast (top), a skewer of four shrimp (middle) and a half rack of baby back ribs (bottom). The ribs fell off the bones and the chicken had no bones.

Everything was delicious and it was a great meal to end a day of driving. Also, I could walk back to my hotel room so it was convenient. The place was fairly crowded. I give it a 3.0 (Great) and I would recommend it. There was nothing special but the service was true southern sweet.

Lawson's Finest Liquids

I made it to Vermont on Friday, September 13th. On Tuesday, the 17th, I visited the Greenwood Cemetery in Bristol and then drove across 17 to Waitsfield Vermont. I already wrote about my visit to Lawson's Finest Liquids, a brewery located just off Route 100. After a few samples of the beer, I ate the Beet Hummus for lunch.

I give the place a 3.5 (Great to Excellent) and I know I will visit again.

Frigate's Waterfront Bar & Grill

The anticipation of this place opening in Eau Gallie has been a long time coming. I took this photo on 12/16/2018...


I took the next few at the soft opening on October 1. They have an inside dining room and small bar upstairs, and then a larger u shaped bar with many tables outside along the river. Funny thing, my bartender, was the same I have seen in the past at Hemingways and Ole Fire grill, which has closed. The view of the taps from my bar stool.


There are big screen TVs around the full bar with a beautifully crafted wooden ceiling with a large fan.


If I turned toward the water, the view of the operating dock and deck is really fantastic.


I did order food, a rainbow roll. I wish I had taken a few pictures of the menu since I have not seen it posted yet online. They may be working it out, I did say it was a soft opening.


The beer was Yuengling and was $4, the sushi cost $12 and had 5 different fish on top. They have a lunch menu and a dinner menu. My understanding is that they have a big buffet on Sundays. Another view of the downstairs bar from the deck...


I also believe that boats are welcome to dock and enjoy the restaurant. You have to be able to go under US1 so I do not think you will see any big boats. There were plenty of empty tables outside but the parking lot was almost full. I think parking is going to be a big problem.


I actually parked out back and entered the deck area from a back entrance so I did not go through the hostess station. As I was leaving, I took a photo from the front. Hard to believe a Burger King use to be on this spot...

For a soft opening, my service was great, it helped to know the bartender.  The food came quickly but it was not cooked so not sure how they will do when totally busy. I may become an off hour visitor since my house is less than a mile away. I could walk to avoid the parking issues, and stay if it rains. I give the place a 4.0 (Excellent) but I am not sure how they will do. There is valet parking but until they get another lot, I am not sure what is to be!

Melbourne Seafood Station

The last place I visited was the Melbourne Seafood Station. The original is in downtown Melbourne but they have expanded. This one is located on Eau Gallie Blvd in Indian Harbour Beach, at the opposite end of Senor Loco Mexican Restaurant. I went at 1:30 pm and no one was there...


They do not have table service, you have to order at the counter. They do have menus so you can order a drink and sit down while you peruse the extensive menu.


I was order #43 but I was not worried about a mix-up since I was the only one there. I was not in the mood for drinking so I ordered a water from Tampa...


My decision was to try one of the combos, and picked the three shrimp combo. There were 21 shrimp, 3 sausage slices, 3 red potatoes, 2 pieces of corn and two slices of bread. I ordered it spicy which it was not but they had added some Bays.



The food was really good and fresh. It took about 15 minutes before I saw it so I assumed it was being prepared fresh, at least the shrimp. Three types of shrimp and I actually could distinguish between them. I had leftovers I packed up and had lunch the next day. They do have take out!
The front entrance which is in the back...

I am thinking that next time I will order take out and drink my beers at home. I give the place a 3.0 (Great) and definitely will go back...

So, my dilemma now is do I keep going to new places for the remainder of the year or take a three month sabbatical. My health would appreciate the break but you only live once, and the list of places is only getting longer....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

VT Trip - Steve's Park Diner

Go to a retirement lunch

VT Trip - 2023