No Corners in a Round Barn

This past year on my driving trip to Vermont I made a stop at the Shelburne Museum located in Shelburne Vermont. My first trip there was back when I was a Junior High student on a field trip. My dad liked to visit the place so I vaguely remember a few family trips too. I highly recommend a visit if you are ever in Vermont, and maybe visit even if you live there. I had joined a local museum here in Melbourne which got me into Shelburne for free.

It was a beautiful day and I took loads of pictures. My first stop was the round barn. From the web page:

"The Museum’s eighty-foot-diameter Round Barn is one of only two dozen built in the state. Round barns, designed for economy of labor, were first built by Massachusetts Shakers in 1826 and were re-introduced by a national farm magazine in 1896.

"Shelburne Museum’s Round Barn was constructed in East Passumpsic, Vermont, in 1901 and moved to the Museum in 1985-86. Much of it was dismantled and moved on flatbed trucks, but the 9,000-pound upper segment of the silo was flown across the state by helicopter and lowered into place."

My first photo was of the barn from the East side. It is the first thing you see upon entering the Museum's grounds. I did catch a photo from the West side but the sun played havoc with my lens.



The cool thing about a round barn is that the silo is located in the center. Hay is stored on the top floor, the cows in the middle and the farm equipment below. Efficiency that just never caught on...


On display when I visited were a lot of horse drawn carriages. Including this hearse...



An interesting toboggan for a very large family...



A nice snow sleigh...


Looks like the carriage Mr Potter used in "It's a Wonderful Life."


An open air carriage for summer use...


For someone without friends...


This was actually a stagecoach...looks like a may have a bumpy ride...


The walls within the round barn had large replicas of maps of Vermont Major cities and towns like this one of Burlington & Winooski...


St. Johnsbury in the Northeast Kingdom...


And a connection, my hometown of Middlebury...



I did zoom in on a few spots that caught my eye, from 1884. I grew up on Weybridge Street, roughly at the spot where the fifth house from the DD in "Middlebury", There are still large pine trees on the property across the street, once owned by Mr. Gorham.



Another spot that caught my eye in the previous photo was the small fenced in monument across the river. (Straight up from the L). The Marble Works and all the homes over there did not exist I guess back in 1884. I wonder if that monument still exists?

I also zoomed in on the train that is getting ready to cross the trestle which has a covered bridge. Our twon does have a covered bridge but it is further North on Otter Creek (to the left).


The last zoom was of the Addison County Fairgrounds...looks like a big racetrack with grandstands on the North end...

Oh yeah, my title about No Corners. They say a round barn was better because the devil had no place to hide...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

VT Trip - Steve's Park Diner

Go to a retirement lunch

VT Trip - 2023