Lunch, Apothecary, Meeting House at Shelburne


I want to continue discussing my visit to Shelburne Museum last fall in Vermont. The blue path is what I have already discussed in past posts, and the red line is what I will talk about today.


It should be noted that I did my visit in one day. Because I had visited in recent years I knew there were certain places I was going to skip. Others I went through again but  more quickly than I had the first time. In reality, to see everything, two or three days might be needed. I think they have multi-day passes...(a multi-pass from Fifth Element)

Stopping for Lunch

Since I was getting hungry with all this walking I decided to stop at the Cafe for some lunch and a drink. I passed the Prentis house which I did not visit.


The Weathervane Cafe was in my sights and there was no one there. This place has a large variety of food and drink with many tables inside. I did not make use of the "lactation station" (its on the map) but I did visit the men's room which was very clean. There are lots of outside picnic tables too. No peeing on the trees though!


My choice for lunch was homemade chili. I talked to the lady serving and she happened to also be the cook. She said this was a fresh batch started this morning. I asked if I could get some cheese on top and she said they did not have any grated cheese, but she could take some slices from the sandwich line. I opted for that but I had already pushed it into the bowl before I took this photo.


The view from my picnic table as I ate. You can see the lighthouse off in the distance...It was a beautiful day and I was enjoying my visit.


As I was leaving the lunch area, I passed the Stencil House which I did not visit.

To the Apothecary

There was a fork in the road. I picked it up and brought it back to the cafe. Actually, I took the path more travelled but I do not think it really made any difference. On to the Apothecary (to the left)!


Most of the things displayed in the apothecary are very old, but also from many different generations. It is fun to read the labels and wonder what some of the things were used to cure.




There was a fairly large display of straight razors. Personally, I have never used one or have someone use one on me. Shaving is bad enough with the razors we have today, I could never imagine trying to keep steady enough to remove a few whiskers. Maybe this is why men did not live as long in the past.


This is one side of the room with razors displayed. They all looked the same to me. I found it interesting that they used blood red as the background for the display.


If you want to be able to read the labels, visit the Museum....sorry, I was trying to get a feel for the display of remedies.


Interesting leg in this room. Not sure if the baskets held snakes or not...


One of the work areas where they prepared the prescriptions...


A large glass pestle and mortar...


Leeches? Time to head out....

Meeting House

Taking the other fork, I ended up at the meeting house...



Inside it looks like a church. Were people fooled into going to town meetings and ending up at a sermon? There was music playing inside...I did not play with the (or my) small organ in the corner...(that use to get me thrown out of meetings...)


From the front porch of the Meeting House, you can look directly to the East at the double-lane covered bridge. When I was young, that was the entrance to the museum, but now it is just a seldom used display.



Another view of the meeting house...

The bench next to the building above is looking out over a small pond. There was a family of ducks on this pond that I watched for awhile. They seem to be having a fine time, you could say they were "getting down!"


And that ends my red path line for today...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

VT Trip - Steve's Park Diner

Go to a retirement lunch

VT Trip - 2023