Books 22 to 25 plus Two More

My book list is up to 195 books and I have now completed 25 from the list. I thought I would read more during this pandemic, but I am finding that I am reading about the same. I was smart enough to gather up some books from the local libraries before they closed. Also, I had some new books of my own.

Here are the latest reads...

#22 The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro

Number 84 in the original list, I was not really sure if this book would interest me. I knew of the movie made from this 1989 novel, with Anthony Hopkins playing the lead. I knew it had like 8 nominations for Oscar, but I did not go and see it back in 1992. The book is written in first person narrative, told by Stevens, an English butler. The story takes place in the 1950s with flashbacks to the 1920s and 1930s, pre World War II. Surprisingly, I loved the book and it was a wonderful read.

I rated this novel 4.0 (Excellent) and would recommend it if you like historical pieces.

#23 The Return of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes was number 89 in the original list. I could not find the book at the library so I substituted this book, the Return of Sherlock Holmes, published in 1905. I figured it would be in the same vain, as it is by the same author.

I did not realize that Holmes was killed off by Doyle in an earlier book. This starts off with Dr. Watson finding that Holmes is still alive and had been in hiding. There are 13 stories, told by Dr. Watson, which solve 13 distinct cases. Easy to read and it is fun to try to figure out what happens. I watched the show Elementary for 10 seasons and I just like this genre. It must be my mathematical mind and enjoyment of problem solving.

I rated this novel 3.0 (Great)

Extra Book #1: Philip K Dick Reader



Published in 1997, this is a great collection of short stories written by Philip K Dick. Many of these stories have been adapted into movies or TV episodes. The cover talks of Total Recall and Screamers. Another story is called Minority Report, a film starring Tom Cruise. I like science fiction and this guy is one of the greatest writers. I just wished he would have figured out that tapes would not be the storage of the future. Only if he could have foreseen a flash drive. Oh Well!

I rated this book 3.5 (Great to Excellent)

Extra Book #2: The Guardians by John Grisham


I bought this book on sale. All the Grisham books I have read I have enjoyed including this one. Can't wait for the movie! I rated this book 3.0 (Great)

#24 Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens


This novel was number 71 in the original list. I got this book out of the Melbourne Library. Three of the four novels in this small print (it's a lot of words) edition were on my list. My intent was to read  Great Expectations but I started with Oliver Twist since it was first.  The book seems a lot more dreary than I remember when seeing the musical Oliver as a kid. "Food, glorious food!" The characters I remember but the story I do not. It was a great read.  I rated this novel 3.0 (Great)

#25 A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens

This novel was number 57 in the original list. Since it was the second novel in the book, I just continued on reading. More dreary story than the previous. He is a great writer but the world is pretty harsh in his view. Glad I did not live in the late 1700s when the book takes place. Those French poor people knew how to use a guillotine and chop up everyone.
I rated this novel 3.0 (Great)

After reading these two novels, I needed a break from dreary Dickens and did not read Great Expectations, which I have (Great Expectations that is)  but will read at a later time...I am currently reading a book not in my list...(another book that was on sale at Barnes & Noble)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

VT Trip - Steve's Park Diner

Go to a retirement lunch

VT Trip - 2023