Zoo Visit Continued

 On my Brevard Zoo visit, I always like to see what plants they have. I must admit they usually have a great variety. Not sure what this is, but there were blooms like this all over...



My next stop was Wild Florida which includes a few local animals. They use to have about 20 American Alligators in their large pond, but now are down to a few. I think they were having some social issues between the inhabitants. No one likes a crowd and in these times of a pandemic, social distancing is a must. This guy was off by himself...

On the other side of the bridge over the pond, there are two American Crocodiles. They both are very large, I would say 8 to 10 feet. Here is one drifting by the bridge...


I think all the Bald Eagles on display are in some kind of recovery from injuries they got in the wild. Regardless, they are still Majestic looking animals...

It is too bad that the Zoo has such a problem with black vultures. They are everywhere and I think it is getting worse. Here is that Majestic eagle with a few buddies..."Whatcha wanna do?"


One of my favorites is Eco the bobcat. He does know his name but I could not get him stirring.


By calling his name a few times I got a half-open eyeball...


The black bear was eating and for some reason took off running. I think it was lunch time...


There was a second eagle that had no vultures around. Majestic!

I saw the second American crocodile on the bank as I headed toward the Rainforest Revealed. He had his mouth open, I have read it is a way to regulate their body temperature.

He closed his mouth after the first picture, I think he was trying to smile for the shot...

Another unique flower, this one was growing along the water edge.

In the entrance to the Rainforest Revealed they have a snake display that also has two types of poison dart frogs. Here is one...

And another...

The black handed spider monkeys were active except for this guy. He seemed very content in his tree. There was a mom and child swinging all around but the cage makes the photos hard to take. I had to use manual focus for this photo....


The two-toed sloth was enjoying lunch, at a very slow rate..it was lying on a pillow with it's head sticking out of the box. Lettuce  first and then he tried for that slice of carrot on the wheel...

The two giant otters were having a fun time swimming in the pool. I caught this picture when they both had their heads out of the water. They were making noises as they swam...

I always have liked the red-legged seriemas. I like that they are in a bigger cage now, better for getting a picture. They are one of the few animals that benefit from the rainforest destruction since they strive in open areas...

This is a tiger shovelnose catfish from South America. The whiskers are usually longer than the head...

The three types of fish on exhibit are the Arapaima (top), the tiger shovelnose catfish and the red-bellied Pacu. Sorry, the Pacu was in a shadow...

The Baird's Tapir was out but he also had a pen full of vultures. 

There was this tortoise, I think it is a yellow-footed, but they look black to me. I will have to see if the females are not as colorful as the male, like most animals...

I hope you have enjoyed my photos from my latest visit to the Brevard Zoo...

#BrevardZoo #Brevard #Otter #Tapir #Crocodile

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

VT Trip - Steve's Park Diner

Go to a retirement lunch

VT Trip - 2023