Another day during a pandemic

When I got up this morning, I knew I either needed to go look for a new car or mow the front yard. The car has been acting up after 11 years of ownership with the AC not working. The lawn was growing due to three days of rain. How do you make this decisions during retirement? You play Solitaire for a great time (how fast you win), if you do good you do one thing else you mow the lawn. I mowed the lawn.

Today was pickup day for lawn and plant garbage by Waste Management. I try to do a garbage barrel each week so I moved it to the street. A black snake was under the barrel and came rushing out. He headed under the garage door. I think he was the child of the big snake that was in my bathroom last December.

The temperature was in the mid-70s with a breeze, a great day to be outside. The lawn is sparse due to a dry winter, but mowing last week made it start growing. Of course, the rain helped. When I went to get the lawnmower,, guess who was underneath. Yep, the little black snake and he was not happy. I took a broom and swept it into the driveway and under the broken down car. It looked like I killed it because it was not moving. I swept it out from under the car into the lawn. It looked like I broke its neck so I went to get a shovel. Unsure what I was going to do, I realized it was in a defensive pose with its neck at an angle. I tried to pick it up with the shovel and it slithered off toward the neighbors yard. I felt a little better that it was not harmed.

As I was mowing, I saw two beautiful yellow-orange butterflies flitter by so after I finished, I knew I would get the camera. Of course, there was some weeding to do as well as feeding the tomatoes, peppers, and orchids. 

I got the camera but could not find the butterflies. I walked down to Elbow Creek, a small waterway behind my house. No birds or manatees but there was a large snapping turtle eating along my yard. I did not seem to bother him so I took a few pictures. He was about two feet long.

Snapping Turtle
Still looking for other animals including the butterflies, I saw that my papaya trees looked interesting. Although all planted at the same time, they have grown at different rates. There are two males and two females. I had about ten papayas in the last two months.


I decided to take a photo of my house from the front corner. Lawn is short but brown.


Since it was such a nice day, I decided I would head to Frigates for a lunch along the water. Since the air in the car is not working, I put down the windows. There was a breeze so not too bad. When I got to the restaurant, the parking lot was full so I decided to head toward Djon's Market place in Indiatlantic. It started to get warm in the car so even though the windows were open, I turned on the AC. To my surprise, it was blowing cool air. My goodness, the AC was working. Regardless, I still need a new car.

I arrived at Djons and went to the rooftop bar. I was here for the first time about three weeks ago. That ime I only had a few Beach Hippie IPAs. Here is the view from today...


Today, I decided to get something to eat. I ordered the tuna, shrimp and scallop ceviche. FYI, the tuna is pieces of sashimi added to the real seafood ceviche. It was very good and I let the bartender Nichole know. Yes, I spelled it right. She said her mom was expecting a boy and was going to name him Nicholas. She got this name. Robin was also serving today. She was here the first time I came with Erica as my bartender. I wrote a review and got a heart emoji  from Erica, I asked Robin why no heart.


As I was eating, two young guys sat at the bar. They were discussing their sunburns and I told them I though they were rednecks. We continued to talk and they said they were from the Philadelphia area and just visiting, thinking of moving here. We discussed the area and the advantages of no winter. Nice guys! We talked about how tequila is a happy drunk while Jack Daniels made him want to fight. I said it was because it "Jacked" you up.

After eating and having two beers, I decided to head to Lou's Blues for a cheaper beer. I stopped in the market place to see if they had any citrus honey bacon. Nope. With the bravery of a couple of beers, I asked the guy behind the counter if they had any. He looked in the walk-in cooler and said no but this other guy said he was ask the butcher if they plan to get it. It is so good! This qas the guy working the deli area...


In the parking lot as I was leaving, I saw this lizard. He was about 8 inches long with a nice curly tail.


I arrived at Lous and there was a small crowd, but there was a table for two not near anyone on the back deck. Jenn and Sabrina made sure i got some beers as I watched the birds and ocean. This seagull was hovering over some food someone had left in the parking lot...


This guy decided to sit on a van. An egret. I started to wonder if wild animals know they are on man-made objects. Did this bird know this was a van, or just a weird bush? 3 beers analysis.

My original plan was to go o Frigates and the stop at the Brevard County Farmers Market held on Thursdays in Wickham Park. I wanted duck eggs. I walked the whole market and no Funk Chicken Farms. I was told by the mushroom ladies that they have stopped coming during the pandemic. I did buy an assortment of mushrooms.

There was another chicken farmer but they did not sell eggs. I did buy some fresh chicken. The guy told me an interesting story but I will share it some other time. I did send an email to Funky Chicken and the lady had one dozen duck eggs that she will save for me....

What a day!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

VT Trip - Steve's Park Diner

Go to a retirement lunch

VT Trip - 2023