75th Anniversary

 On this day, November 24, in 1946, my parents were married. Today would have (well, it actually is) the 75th Anniversary of that wedding. Sadly, it was 30 years ago that my father died, and 20 years since my mom left to rejoin dad. Dad just missed the 45th anniversary and mom was a little short of the 55th.

My parents were married at Saint Mary's Catholic Church in Middlebury, Vermont. This photo is them after they were joined in holy matrimony. Harold had just turned 24 in October and Stella was a young 18 which she became in July. I am pretty glad they got married. If they hadn't, this blog would not exist.



Nest photo shows the happy couple with their wedding party. Mom's sister Lillian was the Maid of Honor and dad's younger brother Kenneth was the best man. Of course I knew them as my Aunt Peasoup and my Uncle Ken. They are on the steps at Saint Mary's Catholic Church. All my siblings and I were Baptized, had First Communion, and were Confirmed at this same church in the center of our home town. Ashes of both my parents are buried at St Mary's cemetery, just up the road.


Sadly, I do not know how my parents met. I wished I had asked. Maybe they told me and I did not pay attention. I truly regret that now.  It was a small town so most families knew one another. Mom was a Shackett, and grew up in New Haven, and she probably was told to watch out for those Provoncha boys. This photo is mom with dad before the marriage. I am guessing mom had just turned 18.

Celebrating the anniversary was important to my parents. I remember a big celebration for the 50th wedding anniversary of my dad's parents, Albia & Lois Provoncha. The family gathered for that. I also remember a 25th anniversary party my parents that was held at our home, but they held lots of parties there. Getting the wedding party back together was also important to dad. Here is Harold, Stella, Uncle Ken & Aunt Peasoup together at Johnny's bar, on the 35th anniversary of the wedding. Aunt Peasoup was the day bartender at Johnny's Bar and always treated us well. The place is no longer a bar, but a brew house for Intracoastal Brewing.


Part of a marriage is to create children. My parents had four kids, saving the best for last of course. Here is me and my brother Tom with my dad in one of those photo booths. I guess I did not know where to look. Or maybe I was dreaming of a future without my parents and I was stunned!


I mentioned the family of six (four kids + two parents), this photo we are near the stairs in the Weybridge Street house, still owned by my brother Tom. That is Patsy, John (in back), BJ on Harold's lap, and Tom on Stella's lap. I think it was about 1961, near the date of their 15th Anniversary.


Family gatherings were important to my dad. We went to lots of family reunions. This photo was a mixture of families, a mini-reunion held at the home of Bill & Peggy Holdman. I cannot see if Sally Holdman is wearing "Mom Jeans". My two brothers are there along with their two sons each. I did not make it to this gathering and my sister was still living in Hawaii

It was in July of 1991 that my dad left us. We had a family get together in Florida to support my mom, who was going to celebrate the 45th anniversary without dad. My Uncle Ken is in the background on the right.


I took it upon myself, with the help of my sister Pat who moved to Florida from Hawaii, to keep my mom busy. I took her to plays, concerts, and sporting events. I flew with her to Vermont a few times. Here we are in Shoreham, just celebrating life.


My parents decided to move to Florida after I, the youngest, went off to college. They had moved into the Weybridge street house in 1950, and left for a new beginning in 1976. A big send off was given. There were doubters, assuming they would be back to Vermont within a year. But I think the move rejuvenated their life together, I had never seen them so happy. They truly left all their problems behind.


Dad got a few jobs in Florida  to keep them in food and him in beer money. This included a time at the local Tenneco gas stations where he was a cashier. Still handling money like at the Middlebury National bank. I sure liked the gas prices back then...


Just because they were in Florida did not stop the family gatherings. Both of my Mom's siblings had ended up in the Melbourne area back in the 1950s. It is why my parents selected that area. This photo includes my mom's parents, Grandpa & Grandma Shackett, Aunt Rae (wife of Bob), Dad, Mom, and Mom's brother Bob.

They bought a trailer in a small park near the Pineda causeway. When I graduated UVM, I moved to this trailer and lived there for almost two years. It is the spot where both dad and mom died. The trailer park is now gone and an architect business is on the site with a large building. I like to believe that Dad & Mom are haunting that new building. 


Dad's parents were also regulars in Florida during the winter, but in the Daytona Beach area. This is Dad having a bite to eat with Grandpa Albia at a rest stop on their way to Florida. We made that drive many times as a family. Even when I drive it now, I think of the trips we had. I was always the navigator. 

Dad settled in to the Florida life pretty easily. Just like in Middlebury, he still kept a garden with tomatoes. But now he could grow his own bananas, being planted outside the trailer's patio. My cousin Patti was able to salvage a few of dad's banana plants when the trailer park closed and I still have them growing in my front yard.


Mom also embraced the Florida life. Here I am with her on a trip to Key West in the VW camper van.


Stella's dad John Shackett, use to love to fish. Surf fishing was an easy way to get the family together. We spent many an hour on Melbourne Beach, catching blues, whiting, mackerel and a few sharks. Here is mom with a Spanish Mackerel. Her shirt logo is a "Staff"  for "Green Mountain High", my brother "Johns Party 1980".

Dad liked to write, for many years he kept a journal which I still have. I have actually used it when I was trying to the photos I had scanned. I knew from his journal when people visited and when things were happening. But some days, like the one in the photo,  was just enjoying the Florida weather on the patio, surrounded by Dad's bananas and Mom's aloe and hibiscus plants. Life does not get any simpler, and they were happy together.


My intent with this post was not only to celebrate the occasion of my parent's 75th wedding anniversary, but to reflect a little on the life they made with each other, the children they brought into this world, and note how important family was to them. Here is to one more kiss...

I often wish that Dad had lived a while longer, and that mom and him could have benefitted from my job and income. But, what has happened, will not be changed, and I love the times we did have together. I miss my sister Pat, and my brother John too. Tom and I are the last of the six. But there are grandkids now, and some great grandkids for my parents. Life does go on, so keep the great memories. Life is too short to be waylaid by petty arguments. Enjoy yourself, and the family around you.

Oh, and Happy 75th wedding anniversary to my Parents!!!



Comments

  1. Happy Anniversary to your parents! I want to hear the story behind Aunt Peasoup's nickname!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So beautifully written, as usual, B.J. What an amazing family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Anniversary to your parents!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

VT Trip - Steve's Park Diner

Go to a retirement lunch

VT Trip - 2023