Beignets

Beignets 

If you have ever been to New Orleans, there is a good chance you stopped at Café du Monde and tried their Beignets. Beignet is a type of fritter, or deep-fried pastry, typically made from pâté à choux. Usually served at breakfast, they have become common on dessert menus. Here is what I was served at Walk-Ons Sports Bistreaux in Viera. The beer I will mention later

First, I have been searching for a place that serves beignets. I have friends with Louisiana connections and they have been asking too. My first taste was while on my honeymoon back in 1984. We stayed at a Bed & Breakfast in the French Quarter. Coffee with chicory and beignets were usually on the morning menu. Future trips to New Orleans for Mardi Gras and then a tech conference, I became a regular at Café du Monde. I love my beignets.

Second, I like to go to the Wetlands in Viera to take photos of wildlife. There are plenty places to stop for a late lunch or early dinner but more new places keep popping up. A friend, Chad McDaniel posted that he had great Fried Catfish at this new place called Walk-on's Sports Bistreaux. I trust his opinion so decided to stop after taking photographs. Like this 7 foot alligator at the wetlands...


This place is located south of the Avenues at Viera, and is out back of the new Outback steakhouse. This is the front entrance. They have a huge parking lot but there were not many cars, it was about 4PM on a Monday. I went at this time to not have a crowd.


Walk-On’s founders Brandon Landry and Jack Warner became fast friends as a pair of "walk-ons" (unrecruited and unsigned athletes who are unwilling to give up on their dream of being college athletes) on the Louisiana State University basketball team. Both worked hard and practiced even harder to earn and keep their spots on the team. They created this fine establishment that now has Drew Brees as a co-owner. It was to give the people of Baton Rouge a great sports bar with great food. There were more than 40 large-screen TVs in  the place. They are everywhere. Since it is a bar, that is where I decided to sit. The view from the upper bar and booths looking back to the large dining area below.

This is a booth in the bar area, and the front entrance has a large hostess stand.

I walked back to the dining room which is very big. I bet this is a great place to watch your team play. Maybe the Saints can beat the Bucs here...

Sitting at the bar, I counted 48 taps of beer. I asked for the menu of beer and also food. There were a few people behind the bar, but I figured one was the manager. We talked cameras for a bit and he was very nice. He suggested the IPA I was drinking since he says he orders all the beers. They do have other alcoholic drinks and wines.



My server/bartender was Morgan, she says she is from Port Saint John. She was very tentative and since they were not busy, we had a few interesting conversations. That is her on the far left behind the taps. The guys on the right were definitely golfers, there are a few courses near by.

I took this picture because I liked the Tapped Out sign. My second beer was going to be a Yuengling, but I saw the Hershey's Porter on the Yuengling tap. Both are from Pennsylvania and sounded like an interesting pair, so Morgan gave me a taste. It would go great with the beignets I was going to get for dessert. I was all tapped out...

Food was on my mind so I ordered the fried shrimp Po' boy. It came with fries which I did not want. I asked Morgan if I could get other sides. She said I had other choices, but for a $2 charge I could get one of the soups. Shrimp etouffee was my choice for the fries replacement. The Po' boy was on a fantastic French bread with a large number of shrimp, maybe 15 to 20. I threw a few into the etouffee.


The shrimp etouffee was really good, but not as good as I have had in New Orleans. A little tabasco added some heat, and I enjoyed it...


Overall the meal was excellent. The service was excellent. The place is excellent so I give it a 4.0.

What about  the beignets? As Morgan told me, not as good as in New Orleans but very satisfying. I completely agree.  I would go here for just an order of them. And probably a beer too (or two).

Just like I have a quest for Bloody Marys and Reuben sandwiches, I am starting a quest for beignets. There is a new place on Wickham Road called Lizette's Cajun Bistro. I hear they have Beignets.

Comments

  1. I am anxious to try Lizette's also, it is near Lake Washington I hear :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haven't been to Walk On's yet but it's on the list. Looks like a pretty cool place...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

VT Trip - Steve's Park Diner

Go to a retirement lunch

VT Trip - 2023