What day is it?

 Recently, I posted some camel photographs on Facebook. I have included one here. 



A friend commented that I should have posted them on "Hump Day" and I replied that I did. Even though I knew it was Friday, I had just saved off this Pickles comic and included it with my hilarious comment.

And then Facebook reminded me that it was 8 years ago that I had announced my retirement from ENSCO. So not only did I start to forget (or not care)  what day of the week it is, but I seem to have lost a few years too. Time is going too fast and the pandemic put a big dent into my travel plans. Most of my enjoyment has been taken photos of local events including launches.

So this morning, I was pretty sure it was Monday, I decided I would head to the port to take some photos of the SpaceX launch. I had my cup of coffee and read the paper, knowing there was no hurry because everyone would be at work. Boy was I wrong, damn Monday holiday. Why do they still have these. Us retired people do not see the point, every week is a 7 day weekend.

I arrive at the port and it was packed to the limit. With only 20 minutes to launch time, I probably still had a 30 minute wait to get into Jetty Park. So I decided to do a U-turn by the very crowded Carnival terminal, and head back to Grills, a local bar & restaurant on the water. I arrived with 5 minutes to spare and grabbed a spot near the outside tiki bar. The day was beautiful, there were three cruise ships in port, and the traffic was heavy. I took this photo of my view, I knew the rocket would rise over this big building.


Little did I know that the rocket would rise right behind the crane. It actually is kind of a cool photo.


There were lots of people who had never seen a launch before. I saw a few newbies watching the countdown on their phone or I-pad, not realizing there is about a 10 second delay. While most of us are watching the real rocket lift off, some continued watch the count down. Ha ha. It was a great launch...


The path was toward the south so the rocket headed right into the sun since launch time was 9:44 AM. It did go right over the RCL ship Independence of the Seas, boarding next to Grills.

So I realized that the port was not just crowded on President's Day for people to watch the rocket, but a lot of people were there to get on their cruise ship.


Interestingly, the RCL cruise ship had a few of their life boats out. I am not if I had ever seen that at the port before. Maybe they only do it on certain days.



As I hurried back to my car, because I wanted to leave before the crowds started to leave, I saw this cool motorcycle with sidecar.

 In reality, I always know what day it is so I can do certain things. I do not go to the Zoo on a weekend because of the crowds, and usually try to go midweek. Here are a few more Brevard Zoo photos I took this past week.

There were two young ring-tailed lemurs feeding with their mother. Very cute.


Since it was warmer, one of the three Boas was stretched out on the tree. I think they said this one is 15 or 16 feet long. The head is lower right, then you can follow the body along the middle and then wrap back around near the top center.


They were saying the female Gibbon just had a hysterectomy. I guess she is feeling better, giving me a big yawn as the male just give me a dumb look.


Some funnies I have recently saved in my collection...




So eight years of retirement and I still do not know when it is a Monday holiday. And you know, I did not really care.

Comments

  1. Can not wait until I don’t care what day it is! Thanks for sharing BJ!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

VT Trip - Steve's Park Diner

Go to a retirement lunch

VT Trip - 2023