Orlando Wetlands 2023

The first and last time I visited the Orlando Wetlands was in January of 2017. Located off of SR-50 in Christmas Florida, you turn at Fort Christmas Road and follow the signs. In the six years since my last visit they have almost completed building a new visitor center and they have added a long boardwalk which was very nice. The new center was a short walk past the picnic areas at the entrance.


The boardwalk was pretty large. There were signs pointing the way and my first glimpse of it was in the distance, taking a picture of an egret.


The boardwalk heads toward one of the islands and then curves around it. You could hear a mass of birds nesting on that island.


As I finished walking the boardwalk, I ended up on many of the elevated dirt roads that crisscross the park. The new visitor center makes a good reference point.


I will give a warning, there is not a lot of shade in the park. Make sure to put on the sunscreen of you visit. It is very peaceful out there with pretty sights and the sounds of nature.


I looped around the park for almost two and a half hours and ended back at the boardwalk. Although pets are not allowed, you can bring the kids. These people are enjoying a close-up view of the wildlife.


Of course, you end up back at the new center, this shot is from the East side.


Motor vehicles are not allowed at the Park but there is a group of volunteers who drive a large golf cart like electric vehicle that holds about ten people. I passed them a few times and if you cannot walk distances, this would be a great choice. I do not think they do it every day and I am sure they do not drive on the boardwalk.

Another option I saw as I was leaving was four ladies riding horses. There are many farms on the way to the park, not sure if you can rent them (the horses) for a tour.


If you want to see or take photographs of wild Florida alligators, this is the place to visit. I do not mind the ones near the road near the water, it is when they want to cross and are near the road that I get nervous. Here are a variety of gators I saw.

One of the ones that was too close to the road. I actually walked below it's eyeline on the other side of the road. I got pass it and back on the road...

I warned a couple and was there and sure enough, it crossed the road...

This one was checking the water level...

A baby gator...

I saw the baby gator and not too far away was the mommy...


This one had it's eyes closed until I took a shot and it heard the camera click!


Of course, I love to photograph the birds. There were plenty of blue-winged teals. I was surprised that a few times the males had two females with him. They must have flown down from French Canada.

All three diving...

Male diving and two females looking up...

Male looking up and two females diving.

Another threesome of blue-winged teals...


There are plenty of Coots, sometimes in large flocks, and sometimes swimming with the ducks...


Enjoy some of the photos I took...

White Egret taking off...


American Bald Eagle...it was pretty high up...


One of my favorites, the Green Heron...


Glossy Ibis near tree in still water...

Another of my favorites, a Limpkin...


Savannah Sparrow (I think)...

I have not identified this one yet...maybe a warbler of some type...


Purple Gallinule (I think)


Pie-billed Grebe...


Glossy Ibis or juvenile white ibis

Need to ID butterfly...


Great Blue Heron near the wildflowers...


A pair of Stilts...


Red shouldered hawk...


Lily pads with blooms...


Osprey hunting...

Well, it was an enjoyable trip to the Orlando Wetlands park. From my house, it is about one hour to get there. Although I-95 was busy, SR-50 was without much traffic. I plan to go again but many of the birds will be leaving to head back North. I may follow them this year!

Comments

  1. Seems like a very nice place to go for a relaxing walk You got to see a lot of birds! Thanks for sharing the info.
    ~Jose M.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

VT Trip - Steve's Park Diner

Go to a retirement lunch

VT Trip - 2023