VT Trip - Favorites

 Vacations are suppose to be a time to relax and get away from the everyday grind. But as I get older, and being retired, the vacation is a time to reflect on your life and to enjoy your past as it meets the present and future. I titled this "Favorites", but a better word may be "Spiritual". I have included some of the instances while on vacation where I had a moment of great reflection on how lucky I am to be alive. I hope you enjoy them too.

The first day I arrived I had a splendid visit with this young lady, Ellianna. She was with her dad Josh and was visiting her Grandpa Tom. I was using her bedroom for my stay and she gave me her permission to use it, but I could not use her Princess sheets. She is a sweetheart and very smart. She does spend some time watching videos, but she likes to use her crayons. It is always mind-opening to have a conversation with a child.


I realized I had lots of photographs of the Middlebury Falls, and with all the rain Vermont was having, Otter Creek was an angry waterway. But this photo, I put the focus back onto the large sunflowers in Riverfront Park along the bank near the Marble Works, the falls and town are just a backdrop. Sometimes, it is important to pay attention to the little things in life, the big things might sweep you away.

As I crossed the foot bridge over Otter Creek, I saw a small flock of Canadian geese having a party. As I continued around the park, I was looking for a seldom-used walkway that Tom told me about. It gives a different view of the Falls and Creek. I found the path easily and as I looked down to take some photos, I noticed that the geese were having a parade. I guess the one out front was the leader, and all the others were following. I hope that the leader had good intentions...

I took a lot of photos around my hometown of Middlebury, but I had not seen in person the new Triangle Park located in the center of town. The fountain is beautiful, and they have covered the railroad tracks with grass and sidewalks right up to St Stephen's church. While in town, they held a market with different vendors selling a variety of items. I bought myself a coffee mug.

I have always thought that the current Town Hall Theater was a majestic looking building. I remember when it was the K of C hall, plus a few other things. I even remember going to Tim Bushey's daughter wedding reception here. Someday, I may attend a play there. It is one of my favorite buildings in Middlebury.

I have not been playing golf the last few years due to some lower back issues, but the game has always been a favorite. When you are golfing, you can become one with nature. Most courses in Florida have lots of water but in Vermont you have the hills with greenery, like Neshobe hole #13. This view was taken from the path behind #17, and that is Tom in the fairway on the left.

Since Tom works at Neshobe Golf Club, he was able to get me a cart to follow him around for a few holes. While he and Kory and Jack Sheehan were waiting to tee off, I took this photo of the Barn from #16. Can you be any more Vermont? Golf, farms, cows; I was almost in heaven...I know it wasn't Iowa..

I found this Zen frog in Brandon. I was visiting Anne and Roger. They have a big back yard and I too was enjoying the meditative feeling you get when drinking a cold beer, listening to Rock & Roll, having a conversation with friends, and enjoying the animals that joined us on this beautiful day. The cows up the street were saying Mooo...and the Zen frog was saying Ooom!


I was able to cross the mountains to visit my nephew Israel (aka Izzy), his wife Kayla, and two boys Harrison and Theron. After breakfast, Izzy gave me a tour of the sugar house and property he owns near Bethel. This photo of Harrison walking back to the house is a favorite because of the simplicity. Harrison Provoncha and my new Honda.


Growing up in Middlebury, I attended both St. Mary's School and St. Mary's Church on Shannon Street. I like this picture because it's from the backside of the Church, as I walked up to the Middlebury College campus. Some of us put on a beautiful façade we show the world, but the real beauty usually can be found behind the façade.


My sister spent one year at Middlebury College and her Freshman dormitory was Battel Hall, which is just one more beautiful college building. From my understanding, it will be torn down after the finish the new dormitory that is being built on Battel Beach. Just like Steve's Park diner being torn down, the college is forever changing,


I mention the new Construction, you can see it off to the left in the next photo. The builders are Naylor & Breen, and my nephew Josh is working at the site. The building to the left is Atwater Hall, and the pretty building in the middle is called Le Chateau. That is Chipman Hill in the distance. When I was a kid, we use to play softball on the green area. It is where Quidditch got its start as a real sport. I use to ride my bike just to the West on my way to Proctor Hall to do dishes. There would be 50 people doing Tai Chi as the sun came up. It is one of my favorite places.


I took a trip to Ripton to visit the Robert Frost Interpretive Trail. The beginning of the trail is this nice boardwalk, with Frost poems are displayed along the way. Vermont Green again.

The Boardwalk ends but the path continues. It is very spiritual to see the sun pass through the forest trees. If not for large mosquitos, I might have spent the morning here.


A few of my friends and relatives told me about a new brewery in Brandon, so I spent a day drinking beer at the Red Clover Ale Co. I will admit, I love beer, but as I get older I cannot handle too much of it. On this day, I enjoyed talking to one of the owners, and chatting with all the people that visited while I was there. Give me a beer, and I will tell you what you want to hear, with no fear!


Cannon Park is located in Middlebury across from the Library and the Sheldon Museum. I have a few old family pictures taken on the cannon. Apparently, that is still a thing as these young people were enjoying the day and the park and making a memory!

I did attend Foodaroo, a food event held at the Marble works and Riverfront Park. It was very crowded and there were lots of choices for food and drink. I am surprised I did not run into any one I knew, but they would all be old like me.

I ate a breakfast sandwich at College Park. This was the site of the MHS that my dad attended, and we use to roller skate in the Gymnasium which was called the Municipal Building. There were many fine memories of plays, marching with the College ROTC, St Patrick's day dances, and many other things. Now you can sit in the park and feel the ghosts of the past...it was a nice place to eat.

This is not a great photo of the Green Mountains as seen from Addison Four Corners, but it is a favorite spot. again, Spiritual.

They have a Garden Park at Sheldon Museum. I took some photos of the flowers. Nice!


The new Champlain Bridge as seen from Crown Point NY. It was built in 2011. The old bridge was built in 1929 and demolished in 2009. For two years they had ferries as they constructed the new bridge. I like this photo because it is a unique view of the bridge that crosses Lake Champlain from Chimney Point in Vermont to Crown Point in New York.

A classic view of the Champlain Bridge with Tom at Crown Point NY.  The spot is both spiritual and a favorite...

I will end with this Blue Bird of Happiness. As I drank a beer with Roger and Anne, this bird kept flying onto the lawn. I love the contrast of colors. There is plenty of beauty in the world, you just have to take the tome to recognize it, and then enjoy it.

Sorry there were so many pictures but I plan to visit this post when I am older and I am having a bad day, I know these photos will make me feel better.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

VT Trip - Steve's Park Diner

Go to a retirement lunch

VT Trip - 2023