Zebra Deer at Zoo

It was Wednesday, Hump day, and the plan was to do some yard work and than some errands. But it was colder, in the 50s, so I decided to do the errands first. Next thing I knew I was at Brevard Zoo. Because it was now only in the 60s, I figured it would not be crowded. Also I needed to do some walking for exercise. And it was a beautiful sunny day...

And the sun allowed me to see my first zebra deer. I took a picture. I showed it to Brevard Zoo workers. A deer with stripes. Well, I guess it was only a fern shadow, but I like it...

 The Zoo is fully decorated for the Holidays. Lots of stuff. At the entrance, there was a cute gingerbread man next to a gingerbread house. He did not have zebra stripes.


The Zoo is basically a big loop and I usually don't have any set pattern; today I turned left. They have two types of macaws who were using the cooler weather as incentive to clean the feathers.


The first loop is Expedition Africa. They do have Zebras and I think there are five now after two being born last year. For some reason, they had one by itself near where the Zoo train goes. He did not look happy that he was there all alone. I wonder if they were "Training" it.

They also have giraffes. This is a male (reticulated) on the left and a female on the right. The male was trying to hump the young lady. There were kids around so I was embarrassed to be taking photos of it. So I did not stay to see if he would succeed. My question was  "If they are different species with different spot features, would a child be born striped like a zebra?"

Another view of the two amorous giraffes...one was at least amorous.


One of the Zebras that was not in seclusion but with the other animals...I love the stripes...


The family of klipspringers were all out, I think this is the mom. Enjoying some sun.

I never noticed before but she has stripes in her ears...black and white stripes...zebra ears.


People were feeding the giraffes and this guy was giving me the eye. Not sure if it was my camera or my nice deposition. I was not wearing stripes...


The lions are going to have a new area in the Expedition Africa. Work has started...This is along the river where the kayakers go.

On a small island lives the Siamang Gibbon pair Pete and Sapphire. A lovely couple who on this day were patting each other heads playfully (I think). One of them glanced my way for this shot...


The next section is called the Lands of Change. This is where the kangaroos are. Their pen is powered by solar trees which were being worked on. Here is a tree with no solar panels...

They had the kangaroos bunched together because of the construction. In the back are the two Reeve's Muntjacs, crossing by the fence. The Zoo volunteer lady told me the animals were all active in the cooler weather and the dingo dogs were out adding more curiosity from the other animals... 

This is Goofy the salmon crested cockatiel, he was in a festive mood...

The kangaroos were enjoying the sun...


The two dingo wild dogs from Australia. A lady and her daughter asked me what they were. I like to help. I showed her some of my photos and her four year old daughter yells "Mommy, that is a Zebra!"
She did not know what the rhinoceros was though, but did recognize the giraffes.

The next area is called Wild Florida. This is where the earlier picture of the zebra deer was taken. They also have a zebra lion...

There was a group of high school students who were drawing the animals in a sketchbook. This lion acted like he knew that and was posing. I even asked a couple of the kids "How did you get that lion to pose for you?"  At least this brother was not behind the ferns.

They also have deer and turkeys running around together. The deer still has its spots. The turkey has lost it stripes...


This bald headed eagle was kind enough to preen his feathers for me...

Doesn't he look great in the glamour shot?

After posing for the young artists, the lion joined the third brother who was passed out on the stand...

One of my favorites in Wild Florida is Eko the bobcat. I asked him to smile...


I took this picture of a sandhill crane in the water. I was trying to get the reflection too, but then realized I don't remember ever seeing one in the water. Usually they are along golf courses and roadways in Florida. This was a pair and the other followed this one across the water. Was that a striped bass?

The fourth loop is called the Rainforest Revealed, formerly La Selva. The cheetah Pepper use to be in Expedition Africa but she was moved when they started the construction for the lions. She, at 14 years old, is now in one of the Jaguar pens. She likes to lie at the back.

This little monkey (white-throated capuchin) was enjoying a snack...

This Masaya, the female jaguar, who will turn 20 on Dec 24. Masaya has been with the Zoo since 2005. She has had six cubs in her life through breeding recommendations by the Species Survival Plan (SSP) for jaguars.  A few of Masaya’s offspring have gone on to have cubs of their own – Masaya is technically a grandma to 11 jaguars! 


There was a bucket full of small fish, maybe sardines. This scarlet ibis was yanking one out. I guess the eye is protected from accidental hits, they have pretty eyes.

Not one of the four main loops, there is a small area where the iguanas and some birds are. This is the blue iguana. The area is called the Caribbean trail.

It was great day for the Zoo, but I still have yard work to do. My seasonal pass has a Plus=one option, so I can bring one guest with me at no cost. So if you want to visit the Zoo, let me know and I can save at least one admission.

Comments

  1. Love the Brevard Zoo… back in the early days Nancie and I volunteered to help build some of the raised walkways… Jose M.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

VT Trip - Steve's Park Diner

Go to a retirement lunch

VT Trip - 2023