2020 NCL Cruise Day 7

 After leaving Roatan, we headed West toward the setting sun and our next stop was another country I had never visited. The small country of Belize was our next Port, and specifically a small private island owned by NCL called Harvest Caye. We were arriving at 9:30 in the morning. It may have been 8:30 local time but I never change my camera clock. From the daily NCL paper, I think the island was man-made, built by NCL. It said they took five years to complete and 10,000 new mangroves were planted.

This is our private pier and dock on Harvest Caye, a great view of the small island and lighthouse which doubles as a launching point for zip lines. They did have carts for people who needed them, but they expected most people to walk to the Caye.


Before 10 AM, Tom was already into the water for a refreshing swim. I did join him and it was very pleasant and relaxing. It had been a while since I had been swimming.


The view from my beach chair. Living in Florida, I did not need any tanning time so I took off from Tom with my camera in hand. It was a cute spot and I wanted to investigate. We were leaving at 4:30 PM so I had plenty of time.

I walked to one end of the Caye and took a picture of the docked ship. There was lots of sand and other tropical things. It was almost like it was made for tourists. Oh wait, I did mention is was man-made. I will admit they knew what they were doing.

On the backside of the Caye it was a little more wild. People were kayaking and canoeing and other water sports. But be careful if you were going swimming here, there were creatures in the water like this blob.


Not in the mood to get stung, I visited one of the many eating places for a local beer. The Laughing Bird Bar & Grill was serving Beliken beer, brewed in Belize. After seven days on a cruise ship, I was not hungry so did not try the food.


The bar side stools in the pool were full.


After a few beers, I was reminded where I was by a big sign. I did do some shopping and bought a tee shirt and some postcards. They had stamps and a post box so I wrote myself a card to add to my collection. Do you k know it took over a year before it was finally delivered. I thought that the stamp had fell off but apparently they only pick up the mail from that box once a year. I am kidding; not sure why it took so long.

I really liked this wood carving of an iguana. Tom had told me about a wildlife experience area so I found it under the gate in the background. So I checked it out.


They had a buttefly shack that was full of two types of butterflies. This was a Blue Morpho Butterfly.

This was an Owl Butterfly

This was a Toucan Butterfly. Wait, that is a bird; a Keel-billed Toucan.


They had lots of signs around teaching about the different animals.


After I got back on the ship and we were getting ready to leave the dock, I saw this land iguana on a tree across from the ship.


After setting sail, I took this shot of the setting sun as it went behind a bank of clouds...



Back on the boat there was plenty of entertainment including guitar player and singer Ed Harvey, He was actually very good, I enjoyed him. But that could be the Beliken talking...



After Ed stopped singing, it was time for another round of "Deal or No Deal", located in the Atrium. There was no Howie as host but the people that sis host knew what they were doing. I think they had a games every day at different times. A lot of people showed up.

And that ended Day 7 of the NCL Cruise.

Comments

  1. You cruise posts bring back great memories. We did an identical cruise a few years ago.... Jose

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

VT Trip - Steve's Park Diner

Go to a retirement lunch

VT Trip - 2023