Buying a New Camera

My current camera, a Canon 70D, a DSLR, was approaching 10 years old and I was starting to have problems with it. So I decided I would start looking for a new camera. The Internet is a wonderful place to research, but like the book I read in High School titled Future Shock, there are just too many choices. Our local Camera store, Southern Photo, closed about 8 tears ago and the closest is in Orlando.

I ended up buying a new Canon R7 at Best Buy. Even that was an adventure. The camera was in store, but they want you to use your phone to read a QR code and that said I could pick it up in 3 days in Orlando, but the camera was in front of me. Realizing the phone used an Orlando Zip code, I changed it to Melbourne 32935 and it said I could pick it up in an hour. But I was standing next to the camera in a locked case. I finally found a blue shirt Best Buy employee and was able have him get the camera. Technology is becoming a pain...

Here is the first picture I took with the new Mirrorless Canon R7 with a 18-150mm lens. Okay!


The camera also came with a lithium battery and a new recharger, plus the one lens and body, but not a disk to store the photos. Luckily, it uses the same disk as my old camera, and the batteries are also compatible. But I assumed the lenses were too and when I tried to mount an old lens, it would not fit. Damn! The lenses will work but I need a mount that costs $129. Since my lenses are also old, I am debating about getting new lenses. Still researching that.

So, let's see how the new camera shoots with the lens it came with. First, a trip around my yard...My orchid was blooming. It appears very high quality and I used it in Automatic mode where it decides all the settings.

The next flower is some kind of geranium my neighbor grows...nice grouping.

Interesting thing I found out while playing with the photos; the Google search for photos is now an application that identifies what is in the photo. The app for my phone is called Google Lens, and is the link lens.google.com on my PC. Another flower identified by Google as a trumpet honeysuckle.

The large setting for photo size on my new camera is a little a larger than my old camera. The new is 6940x4640 compared to 5472x3648; both are 72 dpi.

I wanted to see how the camera was in the field. I carried my old camera with a 100-300mm telephoto lens and my new camera too. Carrying two cameras can be a pain but it is doable.

The following shot of a pair of mottled ducks was to see what capabilities the lens has. The first photo is set at a focal length of 62mm.

The same ducks with a focal length of 150mm, the best the lens can do for zooming.

Here is a shot of the common gallinule at 76mm...

And the same bird at 150mm.


I plan to write a post on the Orlando Wetlands visit. I did a few more test shots at home. Here is a house finch on my birdfeeder in the front yard.

A cowbird, with bad lighting.

One of the squirrels that terrorize the birds...

And the house finch asking me to get rid of the squirrel.

Overall I am very happy with the shots the camera takes, but I need to resolve my lens problem. Still working on that and not sure what the final solution will be. 

Not taken with my new Canon R7 but it is funny...

Happy Shooting!!

Comments

  1. Glad you are enjoying your new camera... also glad I didn't break your new lens... Jose M.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

VT Trip - Steve's Park Diner

Go to a retirement lunch

VT Trip - 2023