New Restaurants on Vermont Trip

My Bucket List Goal to eat at a new restaurant every week does not stop because I am travelling. Actually, it becomes a little easier since I am away from home and there are more choices. On this particular trip, I was able to add five new restaurants over a two week period.  Again, I am saving excess places for weeks I miss, but so far I have not had to do that. Let us review the new eateries.

1) Jimmy Buffett's Margaritaville in Syracuse New York (August 2)

Although I was driving to Vermont, I went a little out of my way to visit the Destiny Mall in Syracuse New York.  In this monstrous. multi-storied facility, there are a multitude of stores, restaurants, and entertainment establishments.  My goal was to visit the Margaritaville that just opened there. It should be noted that another Bucket List Goal is to visit every Margaritaville in the world. This allows for two goals being attained with one action, kind of a bucket list double dipping.

This particular Margaritaville is on the third floor at the Destiny mall and it is huge.  I did not bring my camera into the mall so no pictures by me.  I was there on a Sunday so the mall stores were closing at 6 PM, but the restaurants were still open.  I was greeted kindly by the staff and I told them of my goal. They were very happy to oblige me and seated me at the bar by my request. 

Of course, I ordered a margarita and a Cheeseburger in Paradise (see below).  The margarita was great but for a second drink I ordered a Landshark where they filled the air pocket in the bottle with lime tequila. I was wondering if I was going to be able to backtrack to find my car; did I say this place was huge.  The burger was great and so I give this particular Margaritaville a score of 3 (Great).


2) 51 Main Street in Middlebury Vermont (August 4)

The second new restaurant on my trip was in my hometown of Middlebury.  Middlebury is a college town and of course they own almost everything, including this restaurant and bar located at 51 Main Street (not a coincidence). My brother Tom said Tuesdays was Vermont burger night. 
Outside window sign
So Tom, my nephew Josh, and I walked to the place and were seated immediately.  I should note that we tried again the following Tuesday but that time we could not get in.  Part of the problem is Middlebury College has a big summer language school and they sometimes have functions at local establishments.  I think they were all talking Portuguese. 

The great thing was that we did get in and I am so glad we did. Tom and Josh ordered the Beef Burger with fries and I ordered the Turkey Burger with a side salad.  This Turkey Burger was delicious. It was not just ground turkey, but like pieces of turkey in a patty. I could tell it was turkey and as I write, I am drooling for another. I give 51 Main Street a 4 (Excellent) and I know I will visit again. I should note that my nephew Jared works at Misty Knoll, the local producer of the turkey.
Sign advertising the Tuesday Special (did I forget to mention we had local brews with our burgers)

3) Middlebury Bagel & Deli in Middlebury Vermont (August 5)

My nephew Josh and I took a walk through town looking for a place for breakfast, and we decided to stop for a bagel at the local bakery.  I ordered an onion bagel with lox and cream cheese. Capers, tomato and red onions too. Some Snapple to wash it down.
My lox and cream cheese bagel with Snapple
My nephew Josh ordered a spinach bagel with cream cheese and a coffee.  I thank Josh for picking up the tab and I give the deli a 3 (Great).  It may have been a little expensive but the food was fresh and you could watch them prepare it as you wait.

Josh enjoying his bagel and coffee

4) Pho Hong in Burlington Vermont (August 5)

It is unusual, but not forbidden for me to hit two new places in the same day. Josh had an inkling for Vietnamese food, specifically pho (pronounce fa according to Josh.)  I was taking Josh to the Burlington airport to fly back to San Diego. My brother John said he wanted to tag along and I told him we needed to find a restaurant that serves pho.  John searched on his phone and found this place, located on North Winooski Avenue.
Sign outside the restaurant
Josh and John ordered the pho with beef, and I asked for my pho with chicken.  They had a choice of small or large bowls and we all ordered the large, probably a mistake but providing me with dinner later that evening and lunch the next day.

As you can see in the photo, the bowls were huge and the pho was hot.  They provided a plate of limes, fresh basil and bean sprouts. I successfully tried to eat my noodles using chopsticks.
Pho with chicken
I did not realize but my brother John loves Vietnamese food. He said he had a friend that owned a restaurant in Burlington but that it had closed. We found a new spot for him to go and enjoy. I should mention, my brother graduated from the CIA (Culinary Institute of America) and knows food. He said he loved this.
Me too!  I give it a 4 (Excellent).
My brother John enjoying his pho

5) Magic Wok in Middlebury Vermont (August 12)

The last new restaurant I visited on my Vermont trip was the Magic Wok, located next to the A&W root beer stand in Middlebury.  My brother John likes it and I wanted to go out to dinner with him.  He ordered chicken with cashews and I ordered the Happy Family.  It was very good but it was strange that our waiter was Indian (not sure why I mention this, just an observation.)  I give the place a 2 (good). I did not get any pictures of the food but I did get one of the sign as we left.

Well, the quest for a new restaurant continues.  I am looking for anyone interested in joining me on my Visit Every Margaritaville Goal.  Keep the suggestions coming, there are plenty of weeks left in the year!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

VT Trip - Steve's Park Diner

Go to a retirement lunch

VT Trip - 2023