Stop by and see old friends

I arrived in Middlebury Vermont on August 2.  This was the town I was born in and raised through high school.  I spent 3 summers at the house while at the University of Vermont, staying with brother Tom and his wife Robin and their son Brandon. Eventually, Josh was born.

Tom and Josh on the back deck
Now in 2015, Tom still lives at the house, and my nephew Josh was there too.  This time I had decided to spend my time in a tent pitched in the back yard, a trial run for future retirement adventures. But I digress from the subject matter of this post.  Tom, Josh and I were sitting on the back deck, drinking cool beverages when I noticed that there were way more cars than usual at the Paquette house across the street. Tom said that Dennis, the oldest of the twelve kids must have died.  I was a little shocked, knowing that one of the guys was sick, but not this serious.


Paquette house on Weybridge Street
As we were sitting and discussing Dennis, Mike Paquette texted Tom and said to stop over to the house.  Nobody knew I was in town as I like to keep that quiet for many reasons.  Tom asked if I wanted to go over and I said sure, so we headed across Weybridge Street to the Paquette's house.  Mr. Paquette was in his garden, picking cucumbers as we found out later.  We were not sure who would be inside.




The kitchen was full of Paquettes including Judy, Gary, Mike, Tom, Francis, and David, plus a few spouses and children with their spouses.  I am sorry to not remember everyone's name, but they had just lost their oldest brother and I was not going to ask. Having lost my sister several years ago, I knew the feelings they were having. But I knew reminiscing about old times was good therapy.
Paquettes in the kitchen
Francis Paquette
Francis was there. Last year I had delivered a book to this same kitchen.  It was a book that Francis and Gary had given my parents in 1976, as they left Middlebury for good to go live in Florida. I asked the group "Did you know my dad was 54 and mom was 48 when they left Middlebury?"

Everyone could not believe it, as we all were older than that now.  Someone said "I did not remember they did it so young." They were old when they left because, relatively,  we were still so young.


Mike Paquette

Mike was there. He had texted us to visit, was in the same grade as my brother Tom.  He asked me who was the prettiest girl in my class when I was at Saint Mary's school, which we all attended. I responded "Kim Ringey."  He said "Are you sure?"  I did not realize at first that Barbara was there, taking a nap upstairs. I figured it out and responded loudly so Barb could maybe hear "Barbara Paquette!"

Tom Paquette



Tom was there.  My brother Tom and I had run into him over ten years ago on the slopes at Sugarbush.  I may had seem him since then but time definitely pasts too quickly.  It is too bad that it takes a very sad occasion to get people together.  There was some discussion of sledding from behind the house, across Weybridge Street, and all the way down to Otter Creek.  The hill does not look so steep now, but we flew down it as kids. We could not remember if we had a lookout at the street. No one got run over...
Judy Paquette Mercier



Judy was there. She was in the same class as my sister Pat.  When Pat was sick with cancer, Judy was one of her friends who wanted details.  I felt I did not know her real well, but during that period I got to know her better and I appreciated her concern.  That is what neighbors do, even if they have not lived next to each other for 40 years.  So that is why Tom and I made this visit.  Our neighbors needed some friends.
Barbara Paquette Logan with husband Scott




Finally Barb came down to the kitchen and Mike asked again about the prettiest girl and of course I answered "Barbara Paquette!"  I asked Barb who she thought it was and she said "Kim Ringey." So I was right.






Finally Mr. Paquette came into the kitchen from the garden with his cucumbers.  He always has a beautiful garden. I remember as kids, we would play war and we would have to survive on grapes and green beans from the garden.  We talked about not kicking the ball into the neighbor's yard because he would call the police.  Lots of things were said and remembered, but you have to have been there to really know what we talked about. That is what good neighbors do, they open their doors and offer you a drink. Hey David, you never asked me if I wanted a glass of wine....maybe next time!
Mr. Paquette's garden (David too)
So I got to visit with seven of the remaining eleven. Only four more to see.  As Tom and I were leaving, David said that his dad was competing in the scythe mowing at Field Days on Thursday.  I have already posted some stuff on Facebook but I do plan to post about that experience, so you need to follow my blog....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

VT Trip - Steve's Park Diner

Go to a retirement lunch

VT Trip - 2023