Visit a friend in a different town

As I mentioned in the last blog, sometimes circumstances allows you to accomplish two things at one time. Well, I did even better yesterday, I visited a different town for the day, I met up with an old friend from my past, and of course, I got to eat at a new restaurant. Three things at one time!

Visiting other communities and looking up old friends are new to my bucket list this year. I know a lot of people so it should be easy, but I have made it harder than it needs to be, to visit people I know that I have not seen in a while. Visiting other places was in my original retirement bucket list but I was focused on the whole world, and not all the cool places within a day's drive from my home.

So, I called my friend Ed Kennedy, and said I was coming to visit him in New Smyrna Beach.
Sign on Canal Street in New Smyrna Beach
As I am writing this, I have decided to split the blog into two parts. The first will be about the new restaurant of the week. The second will be on my visit with Ed and his great tour of his current home town, New Smyrna Beach.

When I first called Ed, I said I would love to visit and I told him of my bucket list item of going to new restaurants.  I had visited Ed back in 2000, so I figured it would be easy for him to find someplace new. Ed succeeded, and took me to the Cork Screw Bar & Grille on Canal Street in Downtown New Smyrna Beach.

Sign on entrance to Restaurant
 Ed told me the place was fairly new but was becoming very popular. Being a Wednesday at about 1 PM, the crowd was small. I have included a picture of the extensive S-shaped bar where Ed and I decided to sit for lunch. There is an outside access to the bar and a large patio for outdoor dining.
Ed Kennedy at the Cork Screw Bar
 Of course, I saw that they had Fat Tire on draft so that is what I ordered to drink while perusing the menu. You can actually see the outside bar at the top of the beer photo.
Fat Tire at the Cork Screw

Moose Head at Cork Screw Bar
 In the corner of the bar, a large moose was staring at me. I decided to photo him to show off my new camera to Ed.
I saw on the menu that they had Crab, Shrimp and Corn Chowder. It sounded like a good way to start the lunch and I was ecstatic with the result. It was great, and the two pieces of toasted bread was a nice addition. I can say honestly that none was left.


Red Sangria and Tequila
 As I was eating my chowder, I saw that the sangria server was very unique. So was the Tequila shot dispenser. I did not try either of those.











Ed ordered off the sandwich menu which included a BLTA, Cuban, Gator Po Boy, Key West Mahi and others. Ed got the Chicken Curry Croissant which was hand pulled Madras curry chicken salad topped with lettuce and a tomato.  BTW, the A in the BLTA is Avocado.  All sandwiches are served with a side of french fries or other choices. Ed let me try a fry and it was delicious.
Ed's lunch
 I was trying to be a little healthier in my lunch choice so I selected from the Salads menu. There were eight choices including the standbys House and Caesar. Ed recommended the stuffed Avocado which includes the curry chicken salad that was on his sandwich. I went with the Chicken and Goat Cheese which included grilled chicken breast, pickled red onions, fresh field greens, fried goat cheese and walnuts served with Raspberry Vinaigrette. The walnuts were whole halves. The goat cheese was perfect.
BJ's Lunch
On the whole, I thanked Ed for choosing such a wonderful place,  and I am giving the place a 4 (Excellent) on my complete experience. From walking in, seeing the decor, being served by a friendly bartender named Stephen, to having great beer and food, nothing was wrong. It was a great experience.

Stayed tune for more on my trip to New Smyrna Beach in a followup blog.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

VT Trip - Steve's Park Diner

Go to a retirement lunch

VT Trip - 2023