Spring Training Baseball

Today was an interesting day. The plan was to go to the last Spring Training baseball game at Space Coast Stadium in Viera.  The Washington Nationals, who have trained here for there entire twelve years of existence, were scheduled to play the Miami Marlins, the team that had the facility built over twenty years ago. It would be a nice closure to what began in 1994, and was ending in 2016.

But unfortunately, the weather did not participate and a front moved through carrying heavy rain and thunderstorms. I still went out there, having convinced others that the game would not be played because of the weather, but hoping that maybe I would get to see one more game. I knew it would be the last and I wanted to feel the joy I always get when I attend a live baseball game. Yesterday, I went to a game on Easter Sunday with my nephew Brandon.  It was a wonderful day and a great game. I just did not realize that there would be no more.

I became a season ticket holder in 1997.  For the prior three years, I would go to a few of the games and watch the Florida Marlins play, and I realized that I still loved watching baseball live.  I am not a big fan of the TV game; I watch the playoffs and maybe the All-Star game. Sitting at the field is a different experience.

Every year, I knew what my plans were for March. Being employed for most of those years, it was understood that BJ would be busy during that month so don't call afternoon meetings if you needed me.

The first four years, my seats improved from the back section to the second row behind the dugout.  I had two seats and would take my mom to a lot of the games. I was also smart enough to take a boss or two. For the next season, I asked to move to the first row so I could set my feet on the dugout during the game, but I ended up with the same seats in row two. I noticed that the three seats right in front of me always had different people. So at the renewal for the 2001 season, I called about those three seats. I asked if I added a seat to my current two, would they give me those three. They said they are mine and I kept those seats every year since.

Of course, that was the year my mom passed away so she was not able to reap in my reward. I know we talked about the upcoming season while she was on her death bed. She loved the game too having watched me play for most of my life. I also found out she had become a Cubs fan, watching the games on WGN.

I had moved up to the front row in seats 7, 8 and 9.  Seats 1-6 were always the same people including Phil, Tom, and Nick.  Sometimes they would have their wives, or grand-kids, or just friends. I found out later that Phil was Mr. Farmer, the President and CEO of Harris Corporation, the biggest employer in Brevard county. He has since retired like me.

In 2003, the Marlins switched with the Montreal Expos.  The Marlins moved down to Jupiter and the Expos came to the Space Coast Stadium. In 2005, the Expos franchise seized to exist and became the Washington Nationals. That was also the first year I bought a nice digital camera.  I have pictures from every season that the Nats have played in Viera. Just over 17,000 photos (17,005 to be exact). Funny, but I do not want to share any in this post.

I have many fond memories of games. Adding the third ticket was great because I could start taking couples with me. The list is too long to remember everyone who attended with me, but I know everyone remembers my seats. They were the best seats in the house. I will miss them. It was an interesting day.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

VT Trip - Steve's Park Diner

Go to a retirement lunch

VT Trip - 2023