Keeping Busy

The problem with retirement is not finding time to do things, it is finding the time to do all the things you want to do.  What I am learning after two years of being retired is that a lot of the things I like to do seem to happen at the same time.  In other words, I still do not have enough time to do all the things I want to do, even though I have all my time available. Does that make sense? You still have to be in sync with other people's schedules and that is hard. So, I am learning to keep busy with the things I like. If you cannot go with me, I am sorry...Well, that was a waste of a paragraph.

Here is how I have been keeping busy...

I renewed my Orlando Magic season tickets.  It is the 20th year I have been getting the tickets so I have earned a few perks. My nephew Brandon likes to go to games with me, but I am willing to take anyone who would like to go. We went to the pre-season game against the Atlanta Hawks last week.  Dwight Howard, who use to be a star with the Magic, now plays for the Hawks.  I did get a picture of him during warm-ups; which was good since he never played during the game...
Orlando Magic (far) and Atlanta Hawks (near) warming up...Dwight Howard in paint under basket
Wednesday this week is a pefect example of three things I want to do all happening on the same night.  The Magic open their season at home, my old company ENSCO is having the annual meeting for the Florida Divisions at the Hilton with free food and drinks, and my niece Lori is having a party for the kids and friends in Oviedo. Of course, I choose the family function and will be attending with my cousin Patti.

Last Wednesday, the 19th, I went and had lunch at a new restauarnt.  It is called Ron's Dugout Pub & Crab House and is located on Aurora Road.  It is across the street from "That Little Restaurant."
Sign on new Restaurant
Inside, it is all sports theme with two bar stools from Fenway Park in Boston. I have included a picture...
Fenway Park Bar Stool at Ron's Dugout
 I caught one of the owners in this photo of the end of the bar and game room. The second picture is also in the game room.  I did not catch pictures of the rest of the place because people were eating lunch....
Baseball field on floor & pool table at Ron's Dugout
Ron's Dugout Game Room
My bartender was also the waitress. They have only been open for a month and are still getting started.  This poor girl was working her tail off behind the bar and at all the tables. She did a great job.
Bartender at Ron's Dugout
 I ordered the New England Clam Chowder and the Oyster po' boy.  The soup was very good and the sandwich hit the spot. It was messy to eat but I did finish it.
Clam Chowder at Ron's Dugout
Fried Oyster Po Boy at Ron's Dugout
The service was a little slow but that was understandable. The food was good and so was the atmosphere. But I think it is a place to go for the big game and the food is not meant to be the highlight.  The guy next to me tried the Maryland Crab cake and said it was delicious.  The two owners are from Maryland and it is a Crab House.  I give the place my first 2.5. Some things were good (2) and some things were great (3). After almost 90 restaurants in the last two years, I finally started to give half points to distinguish further.  I have the time and the experience to do that!

Another place I went to eat last week, which was not new but a favorite, was the Sand Bar in Cocoa Beach.  I love their tacos and usually get the shrimp and soometimes the steak. I love them. I had to use the facilty and saw that a old picture was over the urinal.  It was Cassius Clay when he was still fighting Golden Glove. He looks like a skinny kid...

Photo of Cassius Clay
I started to read the third book of a trilogy that just came out.  It is called "City of Mirrors" by Justin Cronin. I actually got his autograph in the book.  The first book was called "The Passage" and the second book was called "The Twelve".  Problem is that it was four years ago that I read book two.  When I started Book three I was having trouble with characters.  Thanks to Wikipedia I was able to read through a synopsis of both books to jog the memory. Now I caan enjoy like I had the memory of a twenty year old.

I also have been reading magazines including National Geographic and Smithsonian.  A recent Smithsonian article was about cats and stated the fact that a pair of healthy cats, left to do what comes naturally, would have 324,294 decendants in only five years if all were able to survive. Please have your pets fixed!

On Sunday, I decided to take a ride down to Captain Hiram's Resort in Sebastian.  I use to go often to get the Jerked wings, but it had been almost two years since my last visit (that I can remember; what was that character's name in the trilogy?)  I ordered the jerk wings and they came out wet, and not dry like they use to b. I asked the bartender about it and he said they had changed it a while back. They were just as good as I remebered. here are some views from my seat at the bar...
Captain Hiram's Sand Bar looking South
Captain Hirams' Sand Bar looking East
 On my way back to Melbourne I stopped at a new place in Micco. It is called Outriggers Bar & Grill and is located on the St Sebastian River. I had a beer and watched a little football. There was all kinds of entertainment. Well actually, it was father too drunk to watch his kids because his Bengals were on and other regulars were complaining.  One guy said he would pay $20 to have them keep him away. It seemed a little red-necky.  I can't wait to go back and try some food. I did not take pictures because I did not want my phone to be stolen....Just Kidding!

Also, as I was driving up US 1, I saw a new place called the Chubby Mullet Bar & Grill, located right on US1 at the big Marina building.  They serve lots of fresh seafood so I need to try it out.  I did not stop there but I did stop at Malabar Mo's for a pee break. Must have been a 100 motorcycles there. I was not hungry or thirsty so I headed home.

I finished the day by walking over to Squidlips and Intracoastal Brewing Company.  About a three mile round trip that I will document in the next post...



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

VT Trip - Steve's Park Diner

Go to a retirement lunch

VT Trip - 2023