Still Keeping Busy

Having survived my excursion to the Deep South down in Sebastian, Micco, Grant and Malabar, I decided when I got home that I needed to get out and smell the roses. Currently, I do not have roses but I do have a wonderful orchid which has been blooming for years...too bad it does not smell like much but it is very pretty.
BJ's Orchid blooming on my front porch
I decided I would take a walk with my camera in hand to the local watering hole call Squid Lips.  I knew on Sunday afternoon there would be a live band. It is about 1.5 miles to get there but I was do for a good walk.
Before I could even get off my street, I saw what I first thought was just a big leave. On closer inspection, I saw that it was a giant moth just sitting in my neighbor's yard.
Giant moth in neighbor's yard
Further down the street a neighbor had removed a large tree and left the stump. Someone carved in three bear cubs. Another tree stump across their driveway has the mommy bear.
Bear cubs carved into tree stump
I finally hit US1. Behind my house is Elbow Creek and there is a bridge across it on US 1. What a lot of people do not know that there is a sidewalk that goes under the busy six lanes. It saves trying to cross seven lanes of traffic because there is a turn lane too.  From the bridge, I caught this picture of a couple on paddle boards.
Couple Paddle Boarding on Elbow Creek
Of course, there was a lot of ads for political candidates along US1 but I found this ad I liked...
Ad for Save Our Lagoon
As I was crossing the US1 bridge across the Eau Gallie River, I saw this plane flying north over the Indian River. It looks like a pontoon plane...
Pontoon Plane over Indian River
Again, not roses, but I thought this decorative bush was kind of cool...
Unidentified bush in front of bike store
Although downtown Eau Gallie is starting to boom with new businesses, the local Walgreen has not faired so well.  They had to get a special ordinance to build this store near the old houses of the Eau Gallie Art District. Problem is that this intersection is the busiest in Brevard County and near impossible to enter the stores parking lot. The boarding up is leftovers from Hurricane Matthew. Not sure what the plans are for this spot but I bet something is going to happen.
Closed Walgreens on US1 & Eau Gallie Causeway
One business that is doing well is the Intracoastal Brewing Company.  This use to be a plumbing store next to Johnny's Bar, where my Aunt Peasoup was the bartender for many years. This place has a nice tasting room and they brew all their beers on the premises. You can buy growlers  of 32 oz and 64 oz.
Intracoastal Brewing Company Expansion
The old Johnny's buy has been purchased by the Intracoastal and is currently being renovated. They have removed the front door and the entrance will face the current Brewery.  They plan to put in a Biergarten between the buildings. I will not say how many drinks I had in that red building, but my Aunt could pour a mean drink. My dad and mom were regulars here back in the late 1970s through the 1980s.
Renovations to the old Johnny's Bar
Further down the street, you approach the heart of EGAD. There are museums, restaurants and other businesses.  The main park is small but it has a bandstand and a large oak tree. There will be a big Beerfest here in the first weekend of November. It was scheduled for October 8th but Hurricane Matthew took care of that...
Oak tree in EGAD Park
I finally made it to my destination, Squidlips.  I took this photo from the back deck which was packed with people. It was a wonderful day to just listen to some music.
View from my seat on Squidlips' back deck
The band was from my era and playing music from my youth. Of course, they were good. I think they were called the Tree Frogs.
The Tree Frogs at Squidlips
I spent a half hour there before leaving. I headed back to the Intracoastal Brewing Company...
The tasting bar at Intracoastal Brewing Company
My first beer was:


  • JAVA PUMPKIN LATTE (COFFEE PUMPKIN STOUT)***NITRO***
  • 7.0% ABV; 26 IBU
  • This stout was brewed with real pumpkin and fresh local roasted Open Mike’s coffee. Up front you will notice the fresh coffee followed by subtle pumpkin with spices and ending with a smooth and creamy finish.


This was served in a goblet and I took my time with it.  There was a father-son pair sitting next to me. They had ordered a flight and a half (9 beers since a flight is 6) and we discussed the different ones. One of the first they tried was:


  • BREWSCHETTA (TOMATO BASIL PALE ALE)
  • 5.3% ABV; 32 IBUs
  • This Pale ale was brewed with fresh basil and three different types of tomatoes! You will notice the refreshing basil up front followed by a nice subtle tomato flavor. This beer finishes clean and crisp with a smooth fresh basil note. Salute!


They let me try their sample and I am not sure how to describe it.  It probably would be good if you were eating pasta or pizza. My second beer was just a half pint and was:


  • OATMEAL PALE ALE
  • 4.8% ABV; 35 IBUs
  • American Pale Ale brewed with a hefty dose of oats. Aroma:  Danky, citrusy (grapefruit/orange) and floral hops followed by a light malt note. Taste:  Upfront hops followed a velvety smooth mouthfeel and a light malt backbone. Finish: Clean, crisp and silky with a pleasant lingering hop character.

Oatmeal Pale Ale at Intracoastal Brewing Company
The picture shows my view of the bar...Since I was walking home, I figured less than two beers was enough. I stopped by the food trucks that were on Highland Avenue in EGAD but did not see anything of interest so I headed up Montreal Avenue toward home. I liked the lighting of this church...
Church on Montreal Avenue in Eau Gallie
I have lived in the same house now for over 32 years. As I cross the bridge on US1 over Elbow Creek, I have always noticed a lot of birds were in the trees behind the houses on Elbow Creek. Since I was walking, I decided to take a few photos. I would hate to live in those houses....I will let the photos speak of what I saw. Most of the birds are ibises.
What a flock!
Overflow with wood stork guardians
Some more birds arriving
No room left on the fence...
...or the ground
All I can do is keep busy...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

VT Trip - Steve's Park Diner

Go to a retirement lunch

VT Trip - 2023