Wait for a launch

I have learned through experience that if I am going to attend a launch at Jetty Park, I need to make sure I get there early to beat the crowds. Since this launch was on a Saturday, I decided to get there almost two hours before the scheduled launch, and I still had to wait over 15 minutes to pass through the Jetty Park gate.
Located at Port Canaveral, it is one of my favorite places to watch a launch. I also have an annual pass, so there is no extra cost to make use of this great resource.

Apparently, since it was such a great day, everybody else thought it would be a great place for watching a launch. I had two hours to kill and the fishing pier was till closed due to damage from Hurricane Matthew. I tokk this picture of the people-less pier from the beach access behind the bathrooms and snack house.
Damaged fishing pier empty of people
Usually, the pier fills with people to watch a launch. But not today. The fishermen were lining the rocky channel along the parking area. I wonder how many lures and hooks are stuck in those rocks? I bet you could make a fortune gathering them up and reselling to the fishermen.
Fishermen along the rocky shores of the Jetty
Since I had some time to kill, I decided to walk West toward the end of the park. The new boat access ramp is at that end and that can add some great amusement to the day. Also, there are lots of birds along the channel. I caught this snow egret who landed on the rocks right below where I was sitting.
Snowy Egret at Jetty Park
But of course, there are tons of brown pelicans flying all around. I caught this one just as he trurned to catch his wings at an angle. I like the man-made stuff behind him, out of focus.
Brown Pelican at Jetty Park
The pelicans like to fly in formation. I caught this group as it was heading west toward the setting sun. They must have been cowboys. Can you find two cruise ships in this photo?
Brown Pelicans form a Vee at Jetty Park
This kayaker was heading out to do some fishing. I thought what great exercise this must be...then I saw the lit cigarette in his lips. I guess he likes smoked fish...
Kayaker at Jetty Park
There were three cruise ships in port, and I knew they would all be leaving before sunset. The first to start leaving was the Carnival ship.  He let off three horn blows to let us know he was coming. Some drunk lady was yelling at the kayaker that he needed to get out of the way because he might get run over by the cruise ship. I guess she had not been here before.
Carnival cruise ship heads out on its journey at Port Canaveral
Near sunset is when the fishing boats start to come back to the Port. This charter is called the Orlando Princess. There were lots of fishermen on the boat.
Orlando Princess returns to Port Canaveral
Some of the boats were not so big. I think if they added one more guy the boat would have been under water. I hope it is running low because of all the fish they caught, and not because they each drank a case of beer.
Small fishing boat running low at Port Canaveral
The port is a busy place. The Carnival ship is still heading out with all kind of boats around...
Busy Port Canaveral
As I said, I was sitting on the rocks taking these pictures. A lady sat next to me and yelled back to her husband that  if she saw a rat, she was screaming and running. I told her I would be right behind her. The snowy egret perked up at the mention of rats.
Snowy Egret with wind-blown hair (feathers) at Jetty Park
I talked to the lady more and her husband. I found out that he runs the Florida beer Company. I asked if he knew Eulan Middlebrooks, my friend Jim's son, and he said of course. We talked about all the small breweries going up in Brevard. I should have got his name so i could get free beer. That snowy egret was giving me the evil eye now...
Snowy Egret at Jetty Park
The cruise ship was approaching, called the Carnival Sunshine. The party was already going on the ship...
Carnival Sunshine leaving Port Canaveral
As the Carnival ship was heading out, another fishing charter, Canveral princess, was returning from a day of fishing. The ships met right in front of me...
Carnival Sunshine meets Canaveral Princess at Port Canaveral
The sun was getting low in the sky and launch time was approaching, only 40 minutes left to wait...
Sun going down on Port Canaveral
The next ship that was leaving the port was the Disney Fantasy. The ship is being lit brightly by the setting sun. Kind of cool...
Disney Fantasy leaving Port Canaveral
I told the couple next to me that sometimes the dolphins will ride the wake of the ships. No sooner had I told them a dolphin jumps out at the front of the Disney Fantasy...
Dolphin rides the wake of the Disney Fantasy
The sun was getting closer to setting...
Setting sun at Jetty Park
The third and last cruise ship to leave the port was the NCL Norwegian Epic. The couple told me they are going on that ship in May. I told them I was going on the Oasis of the Seas. Launch was less than ten minutes away, I hope the cruise ship passes before the launch. I would hate to miss it because of a large ship in my way...
Norwegian Epic leaving Port Canaveral
We found out that the launch had been delayed. I took the next picture at launch time. The ship would have been out of the way...
Cruise ship Epic leaves Port at scheduled launch time
Since the launch did not happen as scheduled, there is an uncertainty of when it will go. They kept delaying it on five minute increments. I caught this pictures of kids on the rocks with the beautiful sky. The launch would have been great at this time because the rocket would have moved back into the sun light. Oh well!
Kids on rocks after sun set at Jetty Park
The pelicans were still heading West....
Pelicans flying over Port Canaveral after sunset
The launch window was one hour and the rocket launched at the one hour mark. I had posted some pictures on FaceBook, but I like this picture because you can see the stars. The wait was over....
Atlas V Launch through the stars from Jetty Park

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

VT Trip - Steve's Park Diner

Go to a retirement lunch

VT Trip - 2023