Ode to the Geese

As I sat out on my brother's deck,
I heard some honking, "What the heck?"
There above me in the sky to see,
Were many birds flying in a vee.
Canadian Geese, there was a lot,
I got my camera to get a shot.
The minute I returned to take aim,
the birds were gone with no one to blame. 
I wanted a photo of the geese as they flew,
To answer a question that not everyone knew.
Why is one line longer when in the sky,
The vee is not even, what's the reason why?
What science behind this flying method,
Some strange theory that can be tested?
Tom said he knew the answer if I don't mind,
"There are more geese in the longer line!"
Writing an ode to include some jest,
Was just a part of my true quest.
I wanted a photo of these geese flying away,
The direction was Northwest, Addison way.
Twenty minutes away was a place called Dead Creek,
Looking for geese, what harm to take a peek.
There were signs telling me I was in the right place,
The valley was flat each way that I face.


To the East was a Mountain named after a Snake,
And in the West was Champlain, Vermont's biggest Lake.


And South would be the field that would be full,
Of the Canadian Geese that really was my goal.
But no, the field was as empty as it could be,
Not a goose in sight, nothing to see. 
Where were the hundreds flying over the town,
I needed to find where they had touched down. 


Looking North to the field over there.
Still, not one goose but I wonder where.


I headed back to Middlebury, my goal not completed,
And I stopped at a park, feeling slightly defeated.
And lo and behold out on a creek named Otter.
I heard some honking and then I spot her. 
There were geese swimming without a care,
But hundreds had dwindled down to a pair.
I took the photo, not the one that I planned,
And wondered, "Where the hell are all the Canadian Geese?"




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

VT Trip - Steve's Park Diner

Go to a retirement lunch

VT Trip - 2023