The Nomad Cafe

It was a day with it not raining so I decided to go out for lunch. On my way to downtown Melbourne, where I was going to stop at one of my regular lunch places, I saw that the Nomad Cafe's parking lot was not full like it normally is. I decided to give the place a try after years of not stopping in. It is located on the corner of Harbour City Blvd (US 1) and New Haven Avenue. It definitely is a converted gas station and I had heard only great things, but I just never got there. Today that changed!

They have a small outdoor patio for dining, and two rooms inside including a small bar with about six seats.

 There was a hostess who asked if I wanted to sit inside or out, and I said inside. My table would be next to the door on the right in the previous picture, which was an emergency exit only. The hostess handed me a menu and I took my seat...


From their web page:
We’re a casual cafe with a tremendous passion for all things fresh and local. Our revolving menu allows us to show-case top quality seasonal ingredients, and our carefully selected unique wines and craft beers round out the perfect meal.

Our chefs prepare every dish with care to make sure our customers enjoy the best dining experience possible.
There was lots of art on the walls, I am assuming from local artists. I could see into the bar area from my seat and I took this photo...


The dining room was almost full when I arrived, but it was just after 1 PM and most tables finished up their lunches and left while I was eating. I took this picture of the dining area from my seat...

They do accomodate larger parties as a group of eight were at the table next to me. You can see there is suitable space and the outdoor patio is covered from the sun.


As I was finishing my lunch, two of the waiters, very discreetly,  re-arranged the tables back into two. Also, a couple had arrived and sat outside. I am not sure how many people they can accomodate.

The menu was a lunch menu, and they also have a dinner menu which starts at 4 PM. The waiter says they are open straight from 11 AM to 9 PM. Good to know because I may stop by for a late lunch or early dinner when they are not crowded. For lunch, the menu had mostly salads and sandwiches. The waiter said that the special for the day were salmon tacos. Never heard of it so I had to try it. First look...


A closer look. The salmon was blackened and in some kind of spicy sauce. It included some lettuce, radishes, slice of advocado and each had a lime to squeeze. The tortilla chips were hot and the salsa was delicious. I poured some on one of my tacos.


After eating half of the second taco, I decided to take an inside look photo to show you they were not stingy on the salmon. It was wonderful!


When the check came, there was a business card. The back is good for a free appetizer.


Why has it taken me so long to stop at this place? It is delightful and I give it a 4.0 (excellent) on my scoring system.  Of the first nine places of 2018, this is only the second with a score of 4.0, the other seven were 3.0 or less. I did find out they will be closed for the next two weeks and not open again until June 8. It is family operated and they give everyone their two weeks spring vacation over Memorial weekend.

A sad side note, I saw that the Eau Gallie Crab House was being torn down yesterday. I thought someone was renovating it but now it looks like they may start from scratch...I will keep my eye on it.

Bon appetit!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

VT Trip - Steve's Park Diner

Go to a retirement lunch

VT Trip - 2023