A Cover Story

In the new year of 2019, I have been changing my FaceBook Cover photo every few days. The latest cover is this photo...


On the post, I usually ask the question "Where was I?" Sometimes I get legitimate guesses and sometimes I get smart-ass answers. I really like a little of both, some make me laugh but some also help me to remember. Every photo we take is just a moment in time at a specific place. Truly a snapshot... And each one has a story, what I am calling a cover story! Let us begin...

A few moments earlier in the evening I had taken this next photo. I like that it is a little lighter, but the lack of clouds, in my opinion, diminishes the moment. The clouds add character...



I did catch a nice look at the clouds right after the sun went down. I like it but I love the full mountain range and not just the small hill in the foreground of this photo...


But the real beauty is the view which is the next photo, even earlier in the same evening. I love sunsets but I also love horizons. I really love sunsets over a wide horizon...


So where was I? I can say it is Vermont, maybe in the town of Weybridge, or maybe the town of New Haven. I think it depends on which side of the lawn I was standing. I was at the home of some long time friends, who I knew separately growing up in Middlebury but then they got married after we graduated high school. They have a dog, jumping for a frisbee as the sun sets...


Hey, the frisbee was successfully captured...


The friend is Jerry Atkins who I met in seventh grade. Jerry's mom and my mom worked in the kitchen at the high school together. Jerry was also in my seventh grade class. Jerry is the tall one in the next picture. He was center on our high school basketball team, in which I was the chief statistics keeper. I kept all the stats for Coach Evans at both home and away games. It got me on the team bus on some memorable trips through the state. Remember, basketball is played in the winter so sometimes the roads were a little icy. We all had to get out of the bus one time so the bus could make it up a steep hill.


The guy on the left is Fred Many, who was the basketball team manager, taking care of all the needs of the players and coaches. The others are Art Provencher (a distant cousin who still had the French spelling of my surname), Matt Losordo, and Mike Rizner.

I cannot remember if I made it to Jerry's wedding, but I have photos so I think that I did. His wife was, and still is, Cindy Bigelow. Here they are cutting the wedding cake. Cindy was a few years behind us and played basketball too. She also became the coach at our high school where she teaches chemistry.


I have known Cindy longer than Jerry. Her mom Helen worked with my dad at the National Bank of MIddlebury. We use to go camping together. This is her on the left with her little brother Jon and her older sister Cherie. We were just kids!


Here we are visiting the forts at Crown Point in New York. That is Cleon Bigelow out front, followed by his daughter Cherie, his wife Helen (who worked at the bank) and daughter Cindy.


After my parents moved to Florida, the Bigelows stayed friends with my parents. here they are visiting my dad at his trailer in Melbourne. Cleon & Helen with Harold...


Jerry was working with my brother Tom at Standard Register in Middlebury. I would try to make it to Vermont each August and visit my brothers and other friends. At this party in Shoreham, my brother Tom, Jerry and Mike Rizner pose for my photo. The party was hosted by Karen Phelps.

Mike owned the local grocery store in Whiting. Sadly, Mike has died too young  and that is why I try to visit Jerry each year. I want to be better at visiting other friends my past.  Jerry and Cindy fall into that category. But there are lots of others I would like to see...


Of course, Jerry is a great fisherman....here he is posing with his large catch of the day (I think that would be the beer in the can.)


So, one photo I shared on FaceBook as a cover, and look at all the memories it contains. Of course, me being a digital hoarder does not hurt....I hope you like my cover story!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

VT Trip - Steve's Park Diner

Go to a retirement lunch

VT Trip - 2023