First three Restaurants of 2019

It is hard to believe but we are already through January of 2019, only 11 months left in this year. Keeping up with my restaurant visit bucket list item, I have gone to three new restaurants so far this year. All three are in Melbourne.

The first I visited is a new place called His & Hers Restaurant Bar. It is located in the shopping plaza behind the Hooters on Babcock street, near Makoto's. It is supposed to be Turkish. I think it was previously a Chinese buffet. The sign is prominent but not too distinguishable. Remember that!


When I arrived about 12:45, there was one couple at the bar and one couple in a booth. No one was seated at any of the tables. There was a specials sign as you walked in...



They definitely like their name because there it was on the wall...


The place is spacious but the ceilings are too high. Although there were few people, I could tell it probably is very noisy with a crowd. There is a large bar with more than a dozen stools...(Photo from my booth)


The waiter handed me a menu and took my drink order. The waiter was very attentive and kept my glass of water filled. I ordered a lamb donor, which I found out is the Turkish version of a Greek Gyro. It was on a thin bread like a flour tortilla. The sandwich came with fries and a very small helping of coleslaw.


There was plenty of lamb in the wrap, which is what it was, but the sauce they added made my second half very sticky and wet. I almost had to eat it using a fork because it was falling apart. It was very good though, my only complaint was the thin wrapping. Fries were crispy and the coleslaw was delicious, all three bites of it...


There were some interesting food on the menu, but I am giving the place a 2.0 (Good). The place was not too distinguishable.  If I go back, I will order something else. BTW, my sandwich was delivered by the chef from the kitchen since my waiter was the only one and more people came in while I was eating. He was very busy.

The second place I visited is a place called Roots Restaurant Tavern in downtown Melbourne. It is only open for breakfast and lunch. I took Nancy there a few Saturdays ago while her car was being serviced. It was only 1030 so I asked if breakfast was okay. I had been meaning to try this place which has been open for over a year.



The breakfast side of the menu. I see that they half pound burgers and a Reuben for lunch so I know I will be back. Here is a bad photo of the menu...


Inside is very small with maybe 10-12 tables. They also have a small salon out back, not sure what they sell in there since I did not visit. They did have freshly made muffins and some cool signs and decorations on the wall. I kind of felt like I was in the mountains...


This was the view outside from Nancy and my table. You can see the Flatiron building on the left and across the way is Off the Traxx. Roots is located on Melbourne Court.



I ordered the house chopped hash which comes with three eggs your way and choice of toast or biscuit. My eggs were over easy. Normally I put ketchup on hash but this was so flavorful, with chunks of potato and corned beef, I ate it with the runny yolks of my eggs as sauce, slopped up using the toast. Fantastic!


Nancy ordered the 3 choice scrambler which uses three eggs and scrambled with 3 items. It is served over potatoes (home fries). It came with toast and Nancy says it was great.


I enjoyed my food and the atmosphere of Roots. I definitely will be back. I give the place a 3.5 (Great to Excellent) and I liked what was on the lunch menu too. I did not try the coffee, next time!

The third place I visited is brand new to Melbourne, although it is a chain with 8 restaurants. It is called Mulligan's Beach House Restaurant & Bar and has moved in where the Texas Roadhouse use to be on Eau Gallie Boulevard beachside.


The whole place has been completely redone with new seating, lighting and beautiful tropical painting. They call themselves a seafood place and they want you to feel like you are in Florida, or an island in the tropics.


Since I was by myself, I decided to sit at the bar where two bartenders were working, Kristy and Danielle. The owner was there giving pep talks and hustling around the place. It was before 1120 but already starting to get a crowd. This is the view from the bar which has stools on three sides, seating maybe 15. I ordered a beer from the modest selection of drafts, but they have an assortment of bottled beer and many tropical drink choices.


The menu is extensive but they only have one for lunch and dinner. I always like a separate lunch menu with lower prices and smaller portions, but I did not see that here.


They do have a VIP program which got me 10% off all food, not the beers. I sent away for the card. I read that on Tuesdays it will get me a half off entree with a full entree purchase. I guess I need two for that or just pig out.


They had New England Clam Chowder but the menu said it was served in a bread bowl. I am trying to watch my carbs and that is not how to do it. I asked if they had a regular bowl which they did.


The chowder was hot and thick and did have clams in it with potatoes too (damn carbs). I think I saw bacon bits in it so be careful if you do not eat pork. For my entree, I ordered the fish tacos.


As you can see, it comes with beans and rice and a side of sour cream with fresh chives. I had them blackened the fish but it seemed that it was just grilled, but there was plenty. They also grilled the outside of the flour tortillas. For hot sauces, they have a house sauce with habaneros. It was pretty spicy but edible. The two tacos was plenty of food for lunch so I just ate a small portion of the rice and beans to see what they tasted like. I like black beans and these were good. The rice was some kind of island mixture with peas, corn and carrots. I like that they add fresh chives.

Overall, the service was great and the food was great so I give the place a 3.0 (Great). I only wish they had a lunch menu. I did see online that some of the Mulligan's serve breakfast. Not sure if they plan to bring that here. I did do lunch at the Mulligans in Sebastian many years ago. I will be back, I am a VIP!

Three places down, 23 to go...What is funny is that I put out an extensive list of places I want to go, and these three were not even on that list. Change is good!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

VT Trip - Steve's Park Diner

Go to a retirement lunch

VT Trip - 2023