Lunch at Pier 220 in Titusville

I finally went to the Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge on the Kennedy Space Center. You cross the Max Brewer bridge in Titusville and there is a visitor's center. More on that later, but after my visit to the Refuge, I stopped at a new restaurant in Titusville for lunch.

It is called Pier 220 Seafood & Grill. I asked Nancy what use to be there, you see Nancy grew up in Titusville. She told me it was a bait shop...Hmmm.



They have a big dining area inside and a small bar outside. The wind was blowing and it was a cool 88, so I sat outside. This is the view from my seat (barstool); that is the Max Brewer bridge above me, some seats for the bar area, some with umbrellas, and a view of the Vehicle Assembly Building (VAB) at KSC. The VAB was where the Saturn V was assembled for our trip to the moon. Shuttles were hitched to the rockets in the VAB...


I ordered a Corona Light, not realizing it would be served in a can. I survived. My lunch was a Caribbean Salad with added blackened shrimp. The dressing was real interesting and flavorful.



After lunch I took a walk around. There still is a fishing pier, not sure where the bait shop went....


The Max Brewer bridge crosses the Indian River and takes you to Merritt Island, where KSC is located as well as the National Wildlife Refuge. This is also the way to the famous Playalinda Beach, although against the law, the northern end of the beach has nudity. I have been asked not to show up...


The outside bar is kind of nondescript, but it does have to survive hurricanes and other bad weather. I enjoyed the bar and the bartender Emma was wonderful.



This was a new restaurant for me so I give the place a 2.5 (Good to Great). It was worthy of a Great but I had one issue. There was fresh mango in my salad and you could tell it was freshly diced and not pre-packaged. The problem was it had a slight fishy taste. Either they use the fish knife to dice it, or it was stored near fish uncovered. Either way, it took away from my great experience. The views are excellent. Emma says they get both manatees and dolphins swimming by....I will try it again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

VT Trip - Steve's Park Diner

Go to a retirement lunch

VT Trip - 2023