Veteran's Day Weekend

Growing up as a kid, Veteran's Day became one of the five Monday Holidays that took effect in 1971. In 1978, Veteran's Day was returned to November 11, which this year happen to fall on a Monday. So this past weekend was like a traditional three day Monday Holiday weekend. Here is what I did...

I accidently stumbled onto a festival on Friday, not knowing it was going on. This was the three-day Native Rhythms Festival being held at Wickham Park near the orchestra bowl. I went home to get my camera but both of my batteries were uncharged. So I started  Veterans Day weekend with a Saturday visit to the Festival.


It had rained heavily Friday night and the area where the vendors and food trucks were set up was under water. The stage, a natural amphitheater was well drained and that is where the different performers of Native Rhythms would play. One act I watched was Randy Granger, playing the HandPan in this photo...


The festival was good and there were lots of venders, but I had a class to learn Craps scheduled for three o'clock. My friend Jim Austin, who is 91 years old, was giving a clinic on craps at his house in Melbourne Beach. I was joining John P, my previous boss at ENSCO, and drinking friend Peter to learn and experience playing the dice game. I learned a lot including that if I am to make any money on craps, it will have to be on other people throwing the dice. I would establish a point and then roll a bunch of 6s and 8s before throwing a 7 to lose. It was fun to learn about it.

I took this photo of a warbler in a tree in Jim's yard as I was leaving....



On Sunday, I was going to head down to Sebastian to the Annual Clambake held in Riverview Park. First I stopped at Melbourne Library to return The Adventure of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain. I picked up Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck and Slaughterhouse 5 by Kurt Vonnegut. Outside the library is a big lake with lots of birds.

I took this photo of a pair of birds. I was unsure what they were but a homeless man saw me taking photos and came over to talk. He explained that this pair were Egyptian Geese, fairly new to the Melbourne area...


I knew these were wood storks in a variety of poses. The man told me they too are fairly new to this park. I have seen them at Ballard Park, close to my house. I hear they do not deliver babies anymore.



I finally made it down to the Clambake in Sebastian, but it was so crowded I could not find a parking spot. I headed over to the Sand Bar at Captain Hirams, a favorite place to have a beer and people watch. This is the outside bar which had one stool available.


My nephews Jared and Israel had posted that they were at the Jets-Giants game. The guy next to me was a Jets fan and the game happen to be on at the bar.


I could abide by the Bar Rules...


The bartender Adam posed for me so I could get a photo of his shirt worn by all the staff at the Sand Bar....


Did I mention that it was US Marines day at the bar. There were lots of "OORAH" and "SEMPER FI" cries throughout the outside area. The couple next to me were very nice. Bert was a Marine from New Jersey who now lives in Barefoot Bay. I thanked him for his service...


I was in Sebastian for clams so I ordered them at the Sand Bar. You get a baker's dozen for $10. They were not real big but very tasty with the clarified butter. the view while I ate was pretty nice too.



I finally tried the parking at the Clambake and I got a spot real close to the festivities. They had vendors and the food was all provided by the festival...The steamed clams were $10 here too, but it there were for a few more...26 is what I counted...


Clam chowder was $4 and so was a Yuengling...


Here is the price lists for the Clambake. You buy tickets at a booth and then turn them in for your choice.


On Monday, I was planning to go to the Veteran's Day parade in downtown Melbourne but saw there was a SpaceX Falcon 9 launch. So I headed to the port for photo opportunities...This navy ship was at the submarine dock. No submarine though...



The sandpipers were all lined up to watch the launch too...



It was clear when I arrived to Jetty Park, but clouds were slowly drifting in from the South. This picture is from the jetty Fishing Pier looking West...



And a view from the pier looking East...


There was a fishing boat just off the Jetty...



And a fish that looked like someone took a chunk out of him. It could have been a sore but it looked like a bite mark. The fish was swimming around like it was okay. Not sure what happens to an open wound like that and I am not going to speculate...



The pelicans were heading to their seats for the upcoming launch



And  a sea turtle was checking out all the people. It really was not that crowded.


It was time for the launch...




Liftoff of the SpaceX Falcon 9, carrying 60 small Starlink satellites into orbit. This was the fourth trip up for this particular reusable rocket. I understand it landed on the barge in the ocean successfully and may be used a fifth time.




After the launch, life goes on at the Port. A fishing boat is returning, probably went out for the launch.


Five Buddhist monks showed up as I was leaving.They were taking photos just like me...

I was thinking if one of the monks ordered a hot dog, does he say "Make me one with everything!"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

VT Trip - Steve's Park Diner

Go to a retirement lunch

VT Trip - 2023