Small Adventure

Sometimes it is the small adventures which make retirement easier. My ultimate goal was to visit the Merritt Island National WildLife Refuge and purchase the National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Pass to the National Parks for Seniors. I filled up with gas in Melbourne, for what would turn into a 105 mile trip.

As I was approaching Titusville, located in the north end of Brevard County, I noticed it was clouding up. The skies in Melbourne were blue and cloudless with a temperature of 71 degrees. A perfect day for an adventure. I took this photo from my hike, showing the clouds...


It was obvious that there were some small brush fires causing the smoke which were turning into clouds. I am sure some of my meteorologists friends could explain, but my goal was to get the pass.
I got to the Visitor Center on located on 402. I was seeing a lot of red lights along the highway which were firemen, expected because of the brush fires. The center was open and I went up to the counter and requested the Lifetime pass for Seniors. She said it was $80 cash or check but no credit cards. I knew this and I had the cash.

We filled out the card and the paperwork and she was telling me how the card does not expire but if I lose it, I would have to purchase another since they do not keep the records. I asked her why my card said it expires in 2020 and she said "What?". I showed her and she had given me an annual pass instead of the lifetime. She thought they would fire her for the mistake but I said the card itself is not worth much. Here is my corrected card...


My secondary goal was to take photographs along the  Blackpoint Wildlife Drive. It was closed so they could clear the brush along the road...Damn, plans changed and she said other trails were closed because of the fires. She pointed me to the Scrub Ridge Trail...


The sign said it was a one mile loop so I decided to do it. I did not have hiking shoes on because I thought I was going to be driving...oh well, sometimes things go wrong...View of the trail


The few birds I did see on the ground were quickly gone. I did see a bird on the lake and took this photo. It was a lone hooded merganser without a harem. The one I saw two days earlier had 6-8 females...


There were butterflies fluttering around but they are hard to take photos of because they never stay still. I saw this unusual one with what looked like double wings...interesting but please sit still.



It finally settled down and the double wings were explained. It was not some new species but two butterflies doing the deed. Notice the head and antenni at both ends...


ANother butterfly landed on the ground...Nice, should be easy to identify..


Wow, another butterfly with lower pink wings, moving too quickly so photo is out of focus.


It finally settled down and I took this photo. Never seen one of these before...need an ID.


As I was leaving the Wildlife refuge I could see that there were more firemen and that the fires were raging. I could see the flames as I was driving at 55, but did not get a picture of the wildfire...


I stopped at Pier 220 Seafood and Grill to get some more photos of the fire. It appeared that the firemen were letting it burn wild and was being stopped by the Indian River. This photo is from under the Max Brewer Bridge.


Since this land is on the Kennedy Space Center, I took one that included the VAB (Vehicle Assembly Building) where both the shuttle and Apollo Saturn rockets were assembled.


Another secondary goal was to stop at the Sunrise Bakery in Titusville. Nancy said they had some great bread. The parking lot on the North side was closed and fenced in for some construction. The lot on the south side was full, no empty spots. Another failed goal...

Alright, I will head south on US1 and then turn on 528 to Port Canaveral. My yearly parking pass for Jetty Park runs out at the end of November. I had another secondary goal to renew that pass. When I go to the booth, an older gentleman was tending it and said he did not have access to the annual passes. Another failed goal...

My pass was good until december 1 so I went in. I took this picture of the feral cat that lives under the boardwalk. I do not think he needs a pass.


I took a walk to the end of the fishing pier where there were many fisherman and a lone seagull waiting to share in on a catch...


This turtle was accomplishing his goals...


So, one ultimate goal and three secondary goals. Only the main goal got accomplished on this small adventure.  It was great to see this lone ball sitting in the sand on the path to the beach. Someone else failed to bring the ball with them. Or maybe the ball succeeded in getting away.


My last goal was to have a beer and some chowder at Rising Tide. The chowder was a combo of scallops, clams, and catfish, unique but delicious...


I set no more goals for the day, I headed home. 105 miles of driving and almost 12,000 steps. Many unaccomplished goals but I have a pass that I wanted. The day was not a total lost, but it was a small adventure.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

VT Trip - Steve's Park Diner

Go to a retirement lunch

VT Trip - 2023