Making Buckwheat Crepes

In retirement, I have started to cook a larger variety of things for myself. Most of the recipes I learned from my mother were true home cooking, but not always the healthiest. As I get older and my Doctor complains about my weight, I need to try more healthy things to cook. Hence, making buckwheat crepes.

My first taste of Buckwheat crepes was at a walk up window place in Indialantic, the French guy made crepes as you ordered, both savory (entree stuff) and sweet (dessert stuff). He has since opened a Crepe restaurant in downtown Melbourne called La Crepe. Very good place to eat if you like crepes, which I do. A new place opened in Suntree called Le Crave, and they serve both savory and sweet crepes for all three meals. They do have buckwheat as a choice. The chef in downtown Melbourne is from Brittany where they call Buckwheat crepes "galettes".

Here is the recipe I use to make my crepes.

One cup flour (any comb.of white and buckwheat can be used; I use 1/3 white & 2/3 buckwheat)
One cup liquid (any comb. of milk and water; I use 1/2 and 1/2)
Two tbsp butter, melted to a liquid
Two eggs (I did not try the duck eggs yet)
Salt to taste (Optional)

I melt the butter and let cool some then add egg and liquid and whisk until mixed.
I add the flours (and salt if using) and whisk until no clumps of flour left. (Cheaters use a electric mixer, mine broke 14 years ago and I never replaced it)

Heat a pan on medium. I add butter the first time but as I make my batch of crepes, I do not add any more since the pan is nonstick and seems to be seasoned for the duration of cooking.

This batch amount will create six to eight medium crepes. I have made double batches and freeze the crepes and use them as I go.

Place a generous amount of the batter in the pan and cover the bottom evenly by rotating pan above the stove. Similar to pancakes, little bubbles will form and the top will start to dry. Brown as much as you want and then flip to cook other side. Remove to wax paper to cool.

Using one of my crepes from last night's batch, I made this crepe for lunch.

I started with a exotic mushroom I had bought at the Farmer's market. I think it is called a Lion's Mane Mushroom. I sliced (if that is what you call it) and browned in some butter which also seasons the pan for the crepe...



I had one buckwheat crepe and some fresh spinach which I saute with the mushroom...

Other fillings included some ham, Jarlsberg swiss cheese, and some parmesan because I like it...


I am still working on sauces for crepes, since this was basically a ham & cheese, I mixed some mayo with mustard on the lunch plate.


I warm one side of the crepe in the pan and then flip, adding the filling. I fold mine like a burrito but I have seen many variations of a fold...here is mine with some parmesan added on top. I do flip it over and brown the parmesan in the pan...


What comes out of the pan is placed on the plate and quickly consumed...


I hope you try some crepes sometime. Having a French heritage makes me want to try French food, and you can eat only so many types of poutine. The varieties of filling for crepes is up to your imagination. One of my favorites for breakfast is caramelized onions, lox and cream cheese. YUM!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

VT Trip - Steve's Park Diner

Go to a retirement lunch

VT Trip - 2023