Some more Shelburne Museum

It's hard to believe but it has been almost a year since I visited the Shelburne Museum in Vermont. As I have said before, it is worth a visit if you are in the area. The blue line in the map is what I have already covered in previous posts, and the red line is what I am discussing today.

My first stop is the Stone Cottage. A very small two-storey home from colonial times. This photo is of the first floor which was where most living took place including eating, cooking, keeping warm, hobbies and did I say keeping warm,

The staircase is very small and they have it closed off, I think the sleeping area was very cramped. I have a photo of the outside of the cottage...

Next stop on my walking tour was the one-room schoolhouse. It even has a bell to call kids to class. You can go inside to see what it would be like. Never understood why they put windows in a school. As if kids won't get distracted by the view. 

The next stop was the Stagecoach Inn which is full of New England art work and lots of sailing items including carved whale bones, wooden ship decorations and these items I have shared. The first is a original painting by Grandma Moses. She did not take up painting until she was 76 in 1936. Her full name was Anna Mary Robertson Moses and lived from 1860 to 1961. This was titled "The Mailman has Gone".

Another painting in the cottage is by an unknown artist and is titled "Tinkle".   Painted in 1883, pets were frequently considered a family member. The inscription on the back of this one says that Tinkle was 2 years and 2 months old when she "sat" for the portrait.

I had entered the back of the Stagecoach Inn. This view is from the front entrance. The front walkway has a pair of eagle-head hitching posts

The Museum has a two-lane covered bridge that runs out to the local highway. I vaguely remember a long time ago entering through this bridge. I think it was the official entrance. Not any more...

I did not stop in the Dorset house this trip but I did capture this nice photo of the house and the large apple tree out front...

Behind the Dutton House is an active vegetable garden. I took this photo of the Lighthouse through the garden.

This is a photo of the Settler's House. they too had a garden...

This is the Webb House as seen from the roadway. In my previous visit a few years ago, I stopped at all these houses which also are full of art and antiques. This trip I focused on the other side. So I guess you probably need two days to see the whole museum and appreciate each stop. This mansion has a collection of Impressionist Paintings including originals by Degas, Monet and Manet...

The opposite side of the Museum along Shelburne Road is just a normal neighborhood. I took this photo of a a beautiful eagle sculpture on a rock next to the museum's bordering fence. The yellow house is off the property on Shelburne Road (aka US 7).

As I reached the top of the hill behind the Webb Building, I captured this last glimpse of the "Ticonderoga".  This was mid-September so the leaves are just getting a little color.

My next Shelburne post will be of my last stop where I visited the exhibitions inside the Pizzagalli Center for Art and Education.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

VT Trip - Steve's Park Diner

Go to a retirement lunch

VT Trip - 2023