Keep Busy Reading in August

 I have continued attacking my reading list as well as enjoying a few "not-on-list" books. All of these books I finished in the month of August. 

I mentioned I had read last month a book called Times's Arrow by Richard Morris. A non-fiction book trying to explain the concept of time in our physical world and universe. Written in 1984, it intrigued me but I knew more had been developed in the last 36 years. So I found this book:


This book was written in 2017 and includes the more recent theories and concepts about time. I took some Physics classes at the University of Vermont as an undergrad, and I did the best in applied physics but not the theory. I guess that is why I became an applied mathematician. One of the mini-courses I took (one credit class) was on Einstein's theory of Special Relativity. So I had an understanding of that math, but this book just confused me more and made me ask even more questions. I give the book a 2.5 (Good to Great) and I did enjoy it. The universe is complicated...

To ease my mind of the confusing questions about the universe, I took a break and read this book:


I have a very large collection of Stephen King books, this one was the 28th I have purchased. Released in April of 2020, it is not a new novel but a collection of four novellas:
  1.  "Mr. Harrigan's Phone"
  2. "The Life of Chuck"
  3. "If It Bleeds"
  4. "Rat"
I will not give away any of the stories but I will recommend the book. All the stories are great. I give it a 3.0 (Great) and may read the stories again. I think "The Life of Chuck" was somewhat confusing and I do need to read at least that one again. That story was also a little depressing...

After 5 books not from my bucket list of the greatest books, it was time to return to the list and this is the next one I found at the library, becoming #27 in the list:

All Quiet on the Western Front (German: Im Westen nichts Neues, lit. 'Nothing New in the West') is a novel by a German veteran of World War I. The book describes the German soldiers' extreme physical and mental stress during the war, and the detachment from civilian life felt by many of these soldiers upon returning home from the front. The novel was first published in late January 1929.  Amazingly, I finished this book in less than 48 hours. I give it a 4.0 (Excellent) and highly recommend it to read. It does get a little graphic with descriptions of life in WW I trenches at the front, but people should know about that. My grandfather was an Army ambulance driver stationed in France during that war, so I felt I should learn a little myself. We all know that War is Hell!

Still confused about time and the universe, I bought and read this book:

Do I understand everything now? Nope! But it is a excellent read. The book is divided into four section with ten major questions. The book was not completed when Hawking died in March of 2018, It came out in October of the same year, finished by colleagues and the family. The forward is written by Eddy Redmayne who played Hawking in the movie The Theory of Everything. The afterword is written by the Hawking's daughter Lucy. I give the book a 4.0 (Excellent).

Back to the list, #28 was the following classic:

Written and published back in 1847, the book was originally released under a male author's name because it was assumed people would not read a romance novel written by a woman. Emily Bronte amazed me with her beautiful writing and wonderful story. I saw that TMC was playing the 1939 version of the movie starring Sir Laurence Olivier as Heathcliff. It was nominated for eight Oscars. I have only watched the first few scenes so I will not make a review of the movie, but I give the book a 3.5 (Great to Excellent).

Last review I had the pleasure of reading Camino Winds, this is the prequel:

It came out in 2017, and I give it a 3.0 (Great). I really like the two books so far and probably will keep track of any future novels by Grisham on this story line.

Also, released in 1847, I had to follow up Wuthering Heights with this novel, #29 in my list:

I give it a 4.5 (Excellent to Memorable). What a story!! I read it fairly quick, nine days for 521 pages. That is very quick for me but I think with all the reading I have done this year, I am actually a faster reader now.

The 2011 version of the movie was playing on HBO so I watched it the day I finished the book. Like always, the book is much better but the movie was enjoyable. It stars Mia Wasikowska in the title roll. She had just played Alice in the Tim Burton directed version of Alice in Wonderland (2010). Here is Mia as Alice:


Jane Eyre was suppose to be plain looking, I think they got that right. Michael Fassbender played Mr. Rochester, who is not ugly, but also "not handsome" as Jane tells him in the story. Sorry, it is hard to make Fassbender not handsome... Here is Mia as Jane Eyre:


Well, another month is done and seven more books completed. My yearly goal on Goodreads for 2020 was 24 books. I have read 27 so far this year. Pandemic has made it a little easier...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

VT Trip - Steve's Park Diner

Go to a retirement lunch

VT Trip - 2023