Photography and Travel; a perfect pair

One main reason for retiring early was to allow me to be able to travel more. Travel in the USA and Canada was a large part of family activities as I was growing up, and I always have liked going to new places, as well as visiting the same places again and again. Also, when I was in Junior High School, I took a photography class which started a passion in me to capture the moments of my life, including travel. 

As I became an adult, work became more important so travel and photography took a smaller role in my life, although still part of what I did. But now that I have retired, they both have taken a front seat in my activities and they pair together well.  I can go to places I have always wanted to go and at the same time, take pictures to share with family and friends.

I have include here a photo I took on my recent trip to St John, in the US Virgin Islands. The island is small with a permanent population of about 4,000 residents. Of course, tourism is very important, as can be seen in this picture. This is Hansen bay on the east end of the island, appropriately called East End. The color of the water, the lack of other boats, makes for a dream vacation spot.



The next picture is of my friend Peter checking out Great Lameshur Bay on the south side of St John. I liked the contrast of the sky, storms on the right and clear on the left. When I sent Peter this picture, he did not remember it being so stormy .  I told him he was an optimist because he saw only the blue sky and the good weather. A pessimist probably would have remembered the storm. I just remember the beauty of the place.


The last picture I have included is one taken by my friend Gail, using my camera.  Here I sit at the overpass above Trunk Bay on the north shore of St John.  Peter said it was the most photographed picture on the island.  Looking it up on Google, it has also been named the most photographed beach in the world. Who am I to argue?


I have lots more pictures to share of places I have traveled, but I am looking for suggestions again.  Where in the world should I go to take some great photos?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

VT Trip - Steve's Park Diner

Go to a retirement lunch

VT Trip - 2023