Visit an old friend

It seems like it had been twenty years, but I found on the Internet that Bennigans on Apollo Road closed in 2008, only nine years ago. In the 1980s and 1990s, it was the place to go to drink, eat and feel merry. Then this past year, I had heard that Bennigans was reopening along 192 in Melbourne, out towards the Interstate.

Today, I finally decided to give it a visit. It was not out of the blue, I had seen a recipe for bite-size Monte Cristo sandwiches. Bennigans was the place for a delicious Monte Cristo. I had a craving and so I went out to hit the second new restaurant of the year (yes, I am behind after only one in six weeks).
Front entrance to Bennigans
I thought it may have taken over an existing building, but they have built a brand new building south of 192 at New York Street. It has ample parking and was easy to get to coming from the East.

Upon entering, there is a hostess station and multiple dining areas. I took a picture from the entry looking back toward the kitchen.
View of bar and dining area from entry to Bennigans
They were people but I saw the bar had plenty of room. I asked the hostess to sit there and she said to choose any seat. Fairly quickly the bartender/server Brett came to serve me. I told her it was my first time here and she mentioned she had worked at the Apollo location. I ordered a pint of Bass Ale and I took a selfie....
My Bass ale and the man in the mirror.
 Yes, they are full liquor bar and I almost ordered a Bloody Mary. I have restarted that quest but I only wanted a beer today. At the end of the bar, there was a large table (or booth) for six to eight...
Large Booth at end of bar and some beer bottle selections
 I was going to order the Monte Cristo sandwich and a side Caesar salad. Brett mentioned they now had a half Monte Cristo that comes with a choice of soup or salad for only $9. No fries. The full sandwich with fries with a side salad would have been $14. While waiting for the food, I took a photo of the area behind the bar....
Bennigans Bar
My side Caesar came first. It was of ample size and it was very good. Not too much dressing but enough. The croutons were actually tasty. I am not a big crouton fan but these were good.
Side Caesar Salad with a Bass Ale
Normally, the Monte Cristo comes with four pieces, but this was only two. It was more than enough. There were a few pickle slices and a large container of thick, raspberry jam for the sandwich. This was no dipping sauce, a knife was needed to spread the jam...
Monte Cristo sandwich at Bennigans
The sandwich was delightful. It was like visiting an old friend. I miss the old Bennigans but there is a new one in town. BTW, the pint glasses were true pints and very heavy, not the typical bar glass. I like the quote printed on the glass....
Caption on Bennigans glass
Even just two pieces of the sandwich filled me up. No room for dessert or a second beer. I guess I could have finished the jam as dessert...
Leftover Raspberry Jam at Bennigans
The place is called Bennigans and it is located on 192. It still is a chain and I think it has replaced the old one very nicely. It is further to travel to get to but that is probably okay, I do not need a Monte Cristo every day.
I rate the place a 4 (excellent) for the nice decor, the great food, and the pleasant service by Brett. I will be back and if anyone need help to find the place, I would be happy to be the navigator.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

VT Trip - Steve's Park Diner

Go to a retirement lunch

VT Trip - 2023